Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Updated Door Panels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

TBrownTX

Dec 25, 2020
Dallas, TX
Looks like Tesla updated it's door panels this morning, as reported by Electrek and verified on the Tesla website. One additional thing I noticed is that they seem to have changed the center console color to matte black from the current grey. A minor update, but plainly visible when you do a side by side.

Not sure how I feel about them yet. I think it makes the out-of-place dash trim look much better, by carrying the color into the doors, but at the same time, if you want to change/update the color it just got way more complex. Personally I just swapped dashed to a CF, so I'm happy I picked up last quarter.

I also saved $2,000, given the two recent price increases for the performance trim.

Thoughts?

Tim

Screen Shot 2021-04-09 at 5.57.22 AM.png

• Informative
Reactions: MODEL+
Looks like Tesla updated it's door panels this morning, as reported by Electrek and verified on the Tesla website. One additional thing I noticed is that they seem to have changed the center console color to matte black from the current grey. A minor update, but plainly visible when you do a side by side.

Not sure how I feel about them yet. I think it makes the out-of-place dash trim look much better, by carrying the color into the doors, but at the same time, if you want to change/update the color it just got way more complex. Personally I just swapped dashed to a CF, so I'm happy I picked up last quarter.

I also saved $2,000, given the two recent price increases for the performance trim.

Thoughts?

Tim

View attachment 652303

Hi Tim, Thanks for sharing, that is interesting. Like you, I feel good about getting my M3P at the lower price last month.

I really like the visual look of carrying-over the wood trim to the doors. I like the wood trim with black interiors and the carry-over to the doors gives it a more finished look to my eye. If I can "upgrade" my woodless doors for a reasonable price with OEM Tesla door panels, I might do it in the future.

Cheers,

Snade

Hi Tim, Thanks for sharing, that is interesting. Like you, I feel good about getting my M3P at the lower price last month.

I really like the visual look of carrying-over the wood trim to the doors. I like the wood trim with black interiors and the carry-over to the doors gives it a more finished look to my eye. If I can "upgrade" my woodless doors for a reasonable price with OEM Tesla door panels, I might do it in the future.

Cheers,

Snade

Like you, I would likely keep the wood if I had those doors, the wood looks far less out of place with it wrapping into the doors.

Tim

Reactions: Snade
I agree with all of you that the wood on the door makes the wood on the dash look "less" out of place, but personally, I dont like wood trim in what I consider "sporty" vehicles. In my opinion, at least the model 3 Performance should have the option of "something else". Tesla is missing out on a market by not offering a carbon fiber replacement (dash + door pocket) for the fastest trim of each model, in my opinion.

Just like a whole "chrome delete" market sprung up overnight to get the chrome trim wrapped, and tesla finally decided to make the trim black, I feel eventually they will give an option for the dash (for more money), to something else.

TL; DR. Looks a bit better, but I still would not want the wood there, and now as mentioned you would have to replace a couple other pieces as well. My model 3 is a 2018, and while there are a few differences between then and now (most notably the heat pump), I am still not lusting over anything new.

By this point in my BMW leases (2.5 years), I couldnt wait to turn them in and get the new model, because "my car" couldnt do X or Y (normally it had less horsepower, and definitely less software features by that point, even though I ordered them fully loaded.)

The M3P should come with black aluminum or faux vs real carbon fiber. Period. I also don’t like the look of the new door trim, and it’s worse in the wood IMO.

Others will like it.
Interesting. I have only seen on the above two pictures (and have an LR) but I think it looks better then my 2021 white.. Totally agree with you about CF or aluminum - having that on performance would be great.

Not sure if the color change is different or just a disconnect on digital image vs real life delivery. Here is the old picture and it looks black there as opposed to gray.

View attachment 652319
View attachment 652320

Nice grab. I was comparing the stock photos of the Model 3 with the Model Y. Funny the three looks so much darker when the rest of the photo looks virtually identical.

Tim

After looking closer at the photos, I don't like the door panel update in the white interior. Originally I was sort of hoping my M3P delivered in Mar would have them... until I noticed that the large field of white leather behind the door handles is now gone - looks to be replaced by black leather with the addition of the part that carries over from the dash. I prefer the contrast of the large field of white in the middle of the door personally.

Reactions: TBrownTX
I wonder if Tesla will also update the tail lights of the Model 3 to use the new global assemblies with amber turn signals that the Model Y uses since August 2020.

upload_2020-10-1_14-23-39-png.594273

upload_2020-10-1_14-23-55-png.594274

I find the minimalist black interior of the M3P to be way more visually boring with the wood swapped out for carbon fiber or aluminum.

The interior needs the wood. And the wood carry-over to the doors in the latest version is better. My two cents.

My wife and friends that have recently seen my M3P, they also dig the wood.

Cheers,

Snade

Reactions: travis3000
I find the minimalist black interior of the M3P to be way more visually boring with the wood swapped out for carbon fiber or aluminum.

The interior needs the wood. And the wood carry-over to the doors in the latest version is better. My two cents.

My wife and friends that have recently seen my M3P, they also dig the wood.

Cheers,

Snade

Just doesn't work for me on my bright blue M3P, going for sleek and modern versus eclectic. No matter what your accent material of choice is, at least make sure it's the real deal. I do feel bad for the vegans used to produce the leather seats, however.

Tim

Reactions: Snade
I'm just curious. Current Porsche interiors feature wood and I've always thought these are some the best looking interiors offered on a modern car.

Do you find this wood fugly?View attachment 653141View attachment 653142

Been driving Cadillacs for years, they also feature wood interiors on many of their cars. And I’ve always gone for the alternative. I’m not driving a piece of furniture. 😉

Tim