Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 upper control arm issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

m3gt2

Sep 14, 2015
england
Good afternoon, my M3P has developed a squeaky bush, clearly a common problem. My issue is, a) the part is it of stock due to a global shortage with no known date when they will be available and b) they resealed them last August, when they phoned up they stated that they would be replaced FOC if the part had had any work done under warranty yet they have just text to say it would be chargeable as it wasn't raised under warranty. Now I do get its out of warranty but they did do the bodge under warranty and that clearly hasn't sorted the issue. Does anyone know how I would stand on this and also know where I can get hold of the arms (either genuine Tesla or third party)? Many thanks

When the mobile came out to me, I received a call in the morning, fairly heavy snow, he said he needed to do an upper control arm lubrication, I said fine and he turned up an hour later. He put a rubber glove on put some grease in his gloved hand and proceeded to rub the grease onto the Bush. Same on the other side.. all finished in 5 minutes. Apparently that was a recall....
I will be doing that every 6 months if that's all that stops the bush from failing.

Reactions: m3gt2
I just used a standard lithium grease like this one. 14 Oz. Moly-Graph® Lithium Grease
No need to jack up the car.
See the photo. I marked where I injected and the direction of the needle.
First I cleaned the area with alcohol. Put the needle in about halfway toward the center and make sure the needle stays in the spot.
keep pumping the grease until the boot starts to get fat. I think it was something like 3-4 pumps. Boot should look like the photo below.
Then just pull the needle out.
I didn’t have to put any adhesives to seal it. It was a self sealing. I checked the area for several days and no leaking so far.

If you don’t have a grease gun, I think you might be able to do this with 30 or 50ml syringes with 20g needle. I still recommend a grease gun with a sharp needle from Amazon.

Good luck

64BEFB3C-E7E5-4A56-A97E-3B9C4D8CE371.jpeg

• Helpful
Reactions: cleverscreenam