Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Weird Smell

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think mine is a different issue/solution but I'm very chemically sensitive and had been mostly driving my husband's S until the 3 is offgassed. I found something out that is very interesting the other day. I drove the Model 3 on a few trips and decided to switch to it despite the strange new car smell (which is already *so* much less noticeable than the leather S was even a year after getting it). So I went over it thoroughly with a vac and rags.

Well, I think most of the offgassing smell has been coming from the *rubber pads* in each door holder (for tissues and pens etc) and 2-3 in the center console including the one that hides the power cords for phones. All but the cupholder liner are easy to slip out (and not really neccessary) so I took out all but the cupholders (and it might not be the same rubber). I can barely detect any chemical smell now - I put the rubber pieces in the covered well in the trunk, but maybe I should find a better place if that vents to the car. (Sun probably would break them down, and I don't want them smelling up the house or garage, even though they aren't too bad after a few months).

TLDR; Remove the rubber liners if you want to reduce the new car aroma and chemical exposure.

I thinking you may be right because I just got my windows tinted as well and that's when I noticed that smell. Do you have any ideas on fixing it or is it stuck in there for good?

You have probably solved this, but I wiped down my inside glass with some Perfect Glass cleaner and that cleared up the tint chemical smell,.

HOWEVER. My vents now smell like vinegar when the car starts up. Similar symptoms to what I used to get in my Model S that eventually turned pretty nasty smelling. To the point where after numerous service center visits, I took matters into my own hands and applied a cleaner directly to the heat exchanger via the condensation drain.

So I am resurfacing this thread from the dead. I have asked Tesla to look at it and change out my cabin air filter at my mobile service visit next week. Bonus, I maybe get to see where said cabin air filter is.

I really hate cars that do this. And with the car running AC when it gets hot in the parking lot, I can't control it in the "normal" advised ways.

Reactions: Pkmmte
You have probably solved this, but I wiped down my inside glass with some Perfect Glass cleaner and that cleared up the tint chemical smell,.

HOWEVER. My vents now smell like vinegar when the car starts up. Similar symptoms to what I used to get in my Model S that eventually turned pretty nasty smelling. To the point where after numerous service center visits, I took matters into my own hands and applied a cleaner directly to the heat exchanger via the condensation drain.

So I am resurfacing this thread from the dead. I have asked Tesla to look at it and change out my cabin air filter at my mobile service visit next week. Bonus, I maybe get to see where said cabin air filter is.

I really hate cars that do this. And with the car running AC when it gets hot in the parking lot, I can't control it in the "normal" advised ways.

What did you figure out about this? I have had the same thing, but just thought it was something I had in the trunk. It was not. Noticed the other day that it seems to appear just as the hvac fan kicks in shortly after I get in the car.

What did you figure out about this? I have had the same thing, but just thought it was something I had in the trunk. It was not. Noticed the other day that it seems to appear just as the hvac fan kicks in shortly after I get in the car.

No solution yet. The service center ran a deodorant thru the system and said the new firmware (with cabin overheat) would fix it. It didn’t. It is just worse now. I will have to take it back in.

No solution yet. The service center ran a deodorant thru the system and said the new firmware (with cabin overheat) would fix it. It didn’t. It is just worse now. I will have to take it back in.
Just started having the vinegar smell issue myself. I’m diligent about running the fan on, no AC, before parking the car to try and blow the vents and AC dry, but it still happened...

And it’s not the mildewy smell that I’m used to from other cars—it’s purely sour and smells a lot like acetic acid.

• Informative
Reactions: Az_Rael
I've had this issue with my car as well for a few months. The "strange" smell is something like body odor, vinegar, or musty with the HVAC running only. It is most noticeable when the fan comes on. I've had the side windows tinted but not the rear or front.

any resolution to this smell issue. I have it too. I notice it for sure any time it is humid outside. but other times as well. It is noticeable. Musty smell.

Not yet. I took the car in for a 25k service and they replaced the cabin air filter and did a treatment to the vents. But I am noticing smell again. My heater smells too now, and not just the “dust burning” first of the season smell.

Gonna keep taking the car in for the issue until my warranty is out. Then will probably figure out how to access the evaporator core via the drain line and spray some Klima Cleaner in there. Did that on my S and it seemed to work better than whatever the service center was using.

I’ve had this musky smell for a while and finally addressed it by having my local mobile tech come out and take a look. He did replace the filter and treated the system. I was told as well that they changed how the HVAC works via software. Due to the air filter being more fabric based and absorbing more moisture than normal air filters, that’s where the smell comes from. To help reduce this smell, the car itself would heat the filter to, in a sense, help dry it off faster.

The service was done yesterday and I’m not getting that musky smell anymore. Although, I was warned of a saline type smell for a little bit and to alleviate this, run the car in dog mode at night with the windows cracked.

Reactions: seonman
I had this smell last summer when it was hot as well. I get comments from smelly socks to rotting garbage. Has a sweet component to the smell and lasts 5-10 minutes after it has been parked in the heat. The smell went away over the winter but is now coming back as things heat up. I'll have to see if I can get a ranger out to take a look as well.

Just adding my experience here:

My 2018 Model 3 has about 13K miles on it. When it’s left in the warm sun and the A/C first kicks on, it smells like vinegar mixed with soggy old socks, toss in a little BO, and that’s about what it’s like.

I have a couple other small quibbles I’m going to take the car in for, and I’ll just bring it up then. If they offer anything substantial, I’ll post a response here.

Ok, I've got it now.
It followed lots of heavy rain (Texas) not sure if its related to the rain or the humidity.
Definitely a vinegar smell for a minute or two in the mornings when I first get in.
I REALLY miss the new electronics smell, wonder if there is a car freshener with that sent.
I would very much like to know what the resolution is on this. After 6000 miles its too new to be spoiling.