Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Weird Smell

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have scheduled a SC appointment for this. I will update if they fix it.
Here is what we got back from or SC.

Hi Russell, This is Tesla Marietta. We looked into this concern and have noticed other vehicle experiencing the same thing. What we have found is that when the A/C is set to Auto and is left in the position after a drive it does not allow for the moisture that forms on top of the condenser to evaporate. This results in when first getting back in the vehicle you notice the odor. The temporary correction for this is to turn off your Auto A/C when you near the completion of your drive so that it does not allow the moisture to sit. Soon there be a firmware update that your vehicle receives that will automatically perform this procedure for you.

I just had Mobile Service out to replace my cabin filters since they were on order. I’ll be doing this myself next time to save labor cost. Looks like part cost is $35. Mobile service said it is due to the filter being so close to the air intake in the frunk. Water can basically get in there and saturate the air filter which seems to cause nasty smell. Since cabin filter has been changed the smell is gone.

I just had Mobile Service out to replace my cabin filters since they were on order. I’ll be doing this myself next time to save labor cost. Looks like part cost is $35.
Yep. I purchased a pair from the service center and they are $17 a piece ($34 total). They look pretty heavy duty compared to the filters in other cars I've owned.
Mobile service said it is due to the filter being so close to the air intake in the frunk. Water can basically get in there and saturate the air filter which seems to cause nasty smell. Since cabin filter has been changed the smell is gone.
Interesting. In other cars it's usually the evaporator where mold develops, but this makes since given that the filters are directly next to the evaporator. Nonetheless, I'll use some evaporator coil cleaner when I change the filters.

Has anyone noticed the fan continuing to run after you park the car when the A/C was on? I assume that's what they mean when they talk about a software mitigation. For me the fan blows for no more than 30 seconds or so, which can't be enough to dry the evaporator.

• Informative
Reactions: JES2 and alexGS
This is what I’m told from Tesla in Atlanta...

“If you're requesting to replace both cabin filters and cleaning the evaporator it will cost about $183.00+tax. This repair is also mobile capable if that is a option you would like. Please let us know”

They won’t do it for free. I said why should I be charged when this is Tesla’s fault. They said it was working as normal and isn’t a defect....!?!?

This is what I’m told from Tesla in Atlanta...

“If you're requesting to replace both cabin filters and cleaning the evaporator it will cost about $183.00+tax. This repair is also mobile capable if that is a option you would like. Please let us know”

They won’t do it for free. I said why should I be charged when this is Tesla’s fault. They said it was working as normal and isn’t a defect....!?!?

I got a similar statement and told them I wasn't happy with it. They then told me that a firmware would fix this........which i tried to explain it would prevent it from happening but would not fix it once it's happened. Who knows......i'm just going to clean it myself.

Reactions: alexGS
I got a similar statement and told them I wasn't happy with it. They then told me that a firmware would fix this........which i tried to explain it would prevent it from happening but would not fix it once it's happened. Who knows......i'm just going to clean it myself.

With the filters costing $34, yours seems the best course of action... to treat it as owner-maintenance, like cleaning the seats. I think I’ll try to pick up spare filters along with my new car - will probably raise a few eyebrows but at least I’ll be prepared! :) glad I’ve seen this thread. I’m guessing this will especially be a problem in damp climates/humid summers.

-Alex