Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 with 400 mile range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I no longer own the Roadster, and other than flooring it from stoplights on dry pavement, I never drove it at its limits of handling. It was my daily driver, as I bought it for being electric, not for being a sports car. At the time it was the only electric car I could buy to replace my Zap Xebra, which had only 40 miles of range to dead empty, and a top speed on level ground of 35 mph. So lessons on the track were never really necessary, though I would have liked to do it.

I don't feel the need with my LR RWD Model 3. I drive it more sedately, when I'm driving it at all. Mostly, it's driving itself. For some reason, I never feel in a hurry when the car is driving itself. And tires will last much longer with the 3 than they did with the Roadster. That thing really went through rear tires. But those quick starts were fun.

As far as battery size, it's obvious that a bigger battery can deliver more amperage and more amperage means more torque. The Model S with the 100 kWh battery is quicker than with the 85 kWh battery. But these are all moot points for me since I moved to Maui. I cannot make use of range or speed here. 55 mph is the fastest speed limit on any road I am ever on here. Not sure if it's the fastest limit on the island. And that's only if I go to Kahului. Otherwise I'm normally on 45 mph roads and below. And I could drive the long way around West Maui from Wailea to Hana and back on one charge and have plenty left over. Something I'll never do because the road to Hana makes me severely car sick even if I'm driving.
Oh but that road to Hana is a beautiful drive. The bridges are a little hairy though. I'm jelly ;)