Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 with battery popping sound while charging, should I be worried?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have had my Model 3 since late September and have always heard a few popping sounds while Supercharging—often times, it is accompanied by a vibration directly under my feet when sitting and waiting in the driver’s seat. Since this is my first Tesla, and it has been happening since the beginning, I was operating under the assumption that this is normal. Indeed, it sounds (and feels) like the metal under the floor is expanding due to heat from charging, and—possibly because it gets pushed down from my weight when entering/exiting the car.

To me, the popping does *seem* more frequent now that the weather is cooling (mid-40s) in Northern California. Also, I have not heard the popping sound while slow charging (either at a Type 2 Blink/ChargePoint station, or via 220v wall outlet).

Yesterday was the first time I heard the popping while actually driving! I had family visiting, and took a full car to Lick Observatory on Mount Hamilton. Throughout the ~4,000 ft elevation climb, the ride was quiet. However, when descending the winding roads (and charging the battery), the popping sounds occurred 5 or 6 times! The first few times I thought it was from rocks hitting the bottom of my car, but then I recognized the sound as being as when Supercharging.

Since my rear passengers were shifting around and putting some of their weight on the floor, I figured the metal underneath was just popping back into place as the battery was generating heat from regenerative braking. Then again, maybe I’m just crazy.

Metal expands and contracts with heat/cold cycles. As long as it's not a bang, I feel we're okay :). The car can take a side impact and not catch fire or crumple like a sheet of paper. A few aluminum panels shifting back and forth with heat would be normal.

Happening to me too. I just picked my model 3 up brand new on Saturday 12-22-18. I have heard the popping both times I supercharged. I also have had the app unable to connect to my car both mornings when I woke up and the car stopped charging both times too. I live in RI so it’s cold but it’s been 30s so it’s not like it’s below 0..... is this normal for the car to not respond anymore if it gets too cold?

Happening to me too. I just picked my model 3 up brand new on Saturday 12-22-18. I have heard the popping both times I supercharged. I also have had the app unable to connect to my car both mornings when I woke up and the car stopped charging both times too. I live in RI so it’s cold but it’s been 30s so it’s not like it’s below 0..... is this normal for the car to not respond anymore if it gets too cold?

Congrats on the new car! You should ask that question in a new thread or search for similar problems. This thread is about the popping noise that all Model 3s experience.

RI ? Going to visit there in the New Year where do u supercharging? Is it convenient with enough stall?

I get occasional noise when Supercharging my Model 3, one that sounds a lot like a piece of sheet metal flexing, so I assume it's related to the battery warming up / charging and the metal used by the pack expanding a bit during the process. Definitely not something that happens frequently, so I'm not particularly worried about it.

I mean, my house makes the occasional "house noise" at night when temperatures cool, but I don't assume there's a problem with my house...

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Two weeks after having the M3, this still happens while SC at night and driving mountain roads. I called Tesla and emailed them. Over the phone, the person asked a technician. I was told this was common with new M3s and they were investigating it. He said there was no need to take the vehicle in for service unless I felt the issue was bad enough to warrant it. Two weeks after sending a request online, I finally get an email back from a different team asking me to schedule the vehicle for service. The email reply and the phone call were just a couple days apart.

I don't know if it's a waste of my time to take it in or if it really needs to at this point.

Getting the same popping/hammer hitting the bottom of the car noise here. Heard while parked / not charging after driving up a steep hill and then when I went to supercharge it did it again a few times.

59 degrees outside today.

I can confirm that this happens. Every time going up the caledon hwy 10 hill up to caledon village in the winter there was a thump as you get to the top of the hill.

Have also experienced it when it was cold at superchargers.