Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S 12v battery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Wol747

Aug 26, 2017
Tea Gardens
My S is 3 1/2 years old and I live North of Newcastle so fitting a replacement 12v battery would be problematic.
Anyone know of the supply situation from the Sydney SCs? I'll be going down for a few days over Christmas and am wondering if it's worth doing a preemptive replacement on the just-in-case principle......

For what it’s worth I had a new 12V battery replaced in September 2022, just over a year ago. Cost was $242.00 which included fitting, which is not easy on the early Model S.
The service was done by the mobile service, originally for an issue with my wipers. As my car was turning 8 years old at the time and the 12V had been replaced at about 4 years, I asked him to test my 12V battery and it came up as weak. He had the correct battery in the van so I got him to replace it on the spot.

Reactions: Hairyman
My S is 3 1/2 years old and I live North of Newcastle so fitting a replacement 12v battery would be problematic.
Anyone know of the supply situation from the Sydney SCs? I'll be going down for a few days over Christmas and am wondering if it's worth doing a preemptive replacement on the just-in-case principle......
At least you get a warning these days, but when they start to go they go fast, the X is worse than the S in terms of speed of decline once you get the notification. I am on my 3rd. All that said, in your set of circumstances I’d do it. Cost effective insurance. And look at it this way, you are going to need it at some point in the next 12 months, so you are not needlessly spending money, just choosing the time rather than having a time forced upon you

At least you get a warning these days, but when they start to go they go fast, the X is worse than the S in terms of speed of decline once you get the notification. I am on my 3rd. All that said, in your set of circumstances I’d do it. Cost effective insurance. And look at it this way, you are going to need it at some point in the next 12 months, so you are not needlessly spending money, just choosing the time rather than having a time forced upon you
That's about my read on it, too! Actually I've emailed the Chatswood SC and asked if they keep the appropriate battery in stock.