Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S 19 inch Snow chain come off?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

phecda

RN1163 Model S Plaid
Jan 4, 2022
Sunnyvale
I ordered the Konig snowchain from the Tesla Shop online. This weekend I was at Tahoe and it says to be prefit for the refreshed model s 19 wheel, but it comes off very easily around 15 mph. I had to stop to pick them up, and it happened twice. I had made sure to tighten the screw with the click sound and point the handle to the center, but it still comes off.

P.S. I have checked that there is no lug nut cover installed on the car.

Anybody experienced the same issue? I am trying to get an exchange for the snow chain to see it is defective.

I bought the Konig chains for Model X (2022 Model X) on the Tesla Store. I installed per the instructions and both separate from the car within 5 miles and we never exceeded 15 MPH on snowy Tahoe roads. When they separate (even at <15 MPH) they come off with force and could injure anyone nearby. I tried re-installing with the same result - seems these are not defective but were never meant for our vehicle (despite how Tesla advertises on their website).

Reactions: phecda
Damn, I have a '21 Model S and I'm going to Tahoe next weekend. I bought the Konig chains from etrailer (before they released it on Tesla store). I will keep an eye out.

I will make an effort to test out the chains before leaving town.

I’ve got the Konig chains for both my 2012 Model S and my 2022 Model S. They would fall off of the 2012 regularly because of the lug nut problem described in the other discussion. I got Tesla to swap out some of those lug nuts so now it works properly.

I’ve never had any problem with the chains falling off my 2022 S since they have a different style lug nut that is compatible with the chain. I’ve driven 20-30 miles with them on in Tahoe at speeds up to 25mph no problem. Here are a few tips:
  • Make sure that piece that connects to the lug net is perpendicular to the wheel and not latching on at an angle.
  • The arrow should be pointing to the center of the wheel.
  • After putting the chains on, don’t trust that just driving around will get the chain to properly position around the tire. I manually push the chain towards the middle of the tire (it takes a bit of force). After I do the install, I drive to rotate the tire 180 degrees so I can access what was the lower part of the chain to make sure every part is nicely centered over the middle of the tire. Again, it takes a bit of force.
Attaching a photo of it installed in case it’s helpful. Tesla really needs to have better instructional videos for installing these and they really need to make sure their wheels come with compatible lug nuts. I’ve spent hours and hours figuring all this out. It’s super frustrating.

Attachments

• F1EF0072-5C20-4180-84E6-A73AB54DC782.jpeg
    F1EF0072-5C20-4180-84E6-A73AB54DC782.jpeg
    616.1 KB · Views: 134
Reactions: wornout and phecda
Have you considered autosocks? Autosock Tire Sock Review

I purchased some, but haven't used them yet. Wondering why folks would go for chains considering all the problems?
I saw many snow socks lost in snows, more than chain lost🤔. During my drive i80 west last weekend, I kept seeing them on the roads so it might not worth it to buy a pair of socks. Also I never grew up using one, so I had no idea how it would perform or last.

• Informative
Reactions: Mark II
I’ve got the Konig chains for both my 2012 Model S and my 2022 Model S. They would fall off of the 2012 regularly because of the lug nut problem described in the other discussion. I got Tesla to swap out some of those lug nuts so now it works properly.

I’ve never had any problem with the chains falling off my 2022 S since they have a different style lug nut that is compatible with the chain. I’ve driven 20-30 miles with them on in Tahoe at speeds up to 25mph no problem. Here are a few tips:
  • Make sure that piece that connects to the lug net is perpendicular to the wheel and not latching on at an angle.
  • The arrow should be pointing to the center of the wheel.
  • After putting the chains on, don’t trust that just driving around will get the chain to properly position around the tire. I manually push the chain towards the middle of the tire (it takes a bit of force). After I do the install, I drive to rotate the tire 180 degrees so I can access what was the lower part of the chain to make sure every part is nicely centered over the middle of the tire. Again, it takes a bit of force.
Attaching a photo of it installed in case it’s helpful. Tesla really needs to have better instructional videos for installing these and they really need to make sure their wheels come with compatible lug nuts. I’ve spent hours and hours figuring all this out. It’s super frustrating.
Thanks! I need to set some time this week to test fit mine on my '21 MS LR before my Tahoe trip this week. Luckily, it doesn't appear to be snowing.

(It didn't snow the weekend I went in January 2022 so I never got around to do it, LOL.)

I have had these Konig snow chains fall off twice now as well. Once was with the product sold through the Tesla website and another was one that I fitted myself on amazon. I have been looking for an alternative snow chain and was wondering if there is a cable chain that fits the 285/40 R19 tire?

I ordered the Konig snowchain from the Tesla Shop online. This weekend I was at Tahoe and it says to be prefit for the refreshed model s 19 wheel, but it comes off very easily around 15 mph. I had to stop to pick them up, and it happened twice. I had made sure to tighten the screw with the click sound and point the handle to the center, but it still comes off.

P.S. I have checked that there is no lug nut cover installed on the car.

Anybody experienced the same issue? I am trying to get an exchange for the snow chain to see it is defective.
I completely understand the frustration you're facing with your Konig snow chains for your Tesla Model S in snowy conditions, especially considering the safety concerns. Dealing with snow chains can be tricky, and it's essential to have reliable ones, especially if you're living in an area with heavy snowfall like Tahoe. Based on my eight years of experience as a Model X owner in a snowy region, I can offer some valuable insights.

Firstly, even if the chains are advertised as prefit for specific models, there can be minor differences in individual cars that affect the fit. Here are a few suggestions to address the issue and ensure a secure fit:
  1. Double-Check Size: Confirm that you have the correct size for your Model S's wheels. Sometimes, discrepancies in tire sizes can lead to fitting problems. Ensure the chains match your tire specifications precisely.
  2. Proper Installation: Even with the 'click sound' tightening method, sometimes it's not enough, especially in extreme conditions. After installation, try rocking your car back and forth a bit to allow the chains to settle, then retighten them. This can make a significant difference in their stability.
  3. Additional Tensioning: If the chains still come off easily, consider additional tensioning. Some snow chains models come with tensioning devices or additional chain links to help ensure a snug fit. These might be necessary, especially during high-speed driving.
  4. Professional Assistance: If the issue persists, it might be worth visiting an auto service center or a tire shop. Experienced professionals can provide valuable insights into proper installation and might have specific recommendations for your car model.
Considering your situation, where reliable snow chains are crucial, I'd recommend exploring Tesery's Tesla Model X Snow Chains. Tesery is renowned for their precision-fit chains designed for Tesla vehicles. Their chains are engineered to provide exceptional traction in snow and ice, offering not just security but also peace of mind during winter driving. Given your experience with snow chains, investing in a reliable and proven brand like Tesery could be the key to a trouble-free winter driving experience.

Tesla Model X snow chains 1 (2).jpg

I hope these suggestions help, and you can enjoy a safer and more secure journey in snowy conditions. Safe travels!