Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S arrives scratched after 2.5 years of waiting for order

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2.5 years ago, I ordered a black Model S (How to find out even an estimated quarter of an estimated year of delivery?).

It finally arrived, kept old price, but... it looks overused or carelessly driven and washed to me. The odo says 30km (which, considering it was made by USA and not in EU and so likely had to be driven to a ship and shipped over and driven to-from ports is not much) but the scratches look like careless driving and/or cleaning and brushing.

For a car of this price and caliber, I find this unacceptable - see pics. What would you do?

Note that:

1. I realize they would have no problem selling this to someone else at the "discount" because I am getting the price from 2y ago. So they might polish this and then just say, here's one that had to be polished but is cheaper than a perfect one you'd order now.

2. I bought 2 model 3s before, a black and a white. The black one had tail scratch problems on delivery that were UNDER the coating and so could not be polished out, and other hairline scratches, just like this one - but not to this extreme. The white one was fine, the hairline scratches do not show as much. So this would be the second time I let is slide, and it just seems like they're making a fool out of me at this point.

Attachments

• IMG_3136.JPG
    IMG_3136.JPG
    409.2 KB · Views: 235
  • IMG_3134.JPG
    IMG_3134.JPG
    445.9 KB · Views: 167
  • IMG_3138.JPG
    IMG_3138.JPG
    527.2 KB · Views: 171
  • IMG_3139.JPG
    IMG_3139.JPG
    523.6 KB · Views: 168
2.5 years ago, I ordered a black Model S (How to find out even an estimated quarter of an estimated year of delivery?).

It finally arrived, kept old price, but... it looks overused or carelessly driven and washed to me. The odo says 30km (which, considering it was made by USA and not in EU and so likely had to be driven to a ship and shipped over and driven to-from ports is not much) but the scratches look like careless driving and/or cleaning and brushing.

For a car of this price and caliber, I find this unacceptable - see pics. What would you do?

Note that:

1. I realize they would have no problem selling this to someone else at the "discount" because I am getting the price from 2y ago. So they might polish this and then just say, here's one that had to be polished but is cheaper than a perfect one you'd order now.

2. I bought 2 model 3s before, a black and a white. The black one had tail scratch problems on delivery that were UNDER the coating and so could not be polished out, and other hairline scratches, just like this one - but not to this extreme. The white one was fine, the hairline scratches do not show as much. So this would be the second time I let is slide, and it just seems like they're making a fool out of me at this point.
Seems pretty minor and correctable to me. Go with it and have fun.

Reject delivery.

This has NO impact on your price.

You ordered a car at “x” price. Tesla needs to deliver an undamaged car at that price.

I find it difficult to believe they tried to deliver this obviously damaged-in-shipping car to you; it is, frankly, insulting.

Also, a pro tip: stop buying black cars! They show damage very easily, absorb massive heat in the summer (bad for range and overall battery life), and require excessive attention and care….

Reactions: AMPd
Reject delivery.

This has NO impact on your price.

You ordered a car at “x” price. Tesla needs to deliver an undamaged car at that price.

I find it difficult to believe they tried to deliver this obviously damaged-in-shipping car to you; it is, frankly, insulting.

Also, a pro tip: stop buying black cars! They show damage very easily, absorb massive heat in the summer (bad for range and overall battery life), and require excessive attention and care….
But he lives in the Netherlands!

I would start by asking Tesla what they will do to fix the paint issues. Mine has dull spots and very fine scratches. I was able to polish them out myself very easily because I have the right products to do it at home.

It's probably damage by the shipping companies and not Tesla. It's still on Tesla to make sure you get a good car at delivery.

The one on the wheel arch looks like it rubbed off the paint completely. But the others look minor in the pics. Which ones do you thing are down to the primer or body work?

Did you already take delivery? If so, I doubt you can reject delivery if Tesla does things the same way in Croatia as they do in the USA.

Last edited:
No big deal. Use the app to create a service appointment and log each individual issue you have found. When it comes to scratches you should have pointed them out at time of delivery so there was no doubt about who was to blame for them. Hopefully you have taken some images back then that supports your claim.

I took delivery of a MS LR back in March and have identified approx 15 issues they need to fix. Fremont build quality is really bad.

• Informative
Reactions: TSLA Pilot
No big deal. Use the app to create a service appointment and log each individual issue you have found. When it comes to scratches you should have pointed them out at time of delivery so there was no doubt about who was to blame for them. Hopefully you have taken some images back then that supports your claim.

I took delivery of a MS LR back in March and have identified approx 15 issues they need to fix. Fremont build quality is really bad.

I identified 6 and they refused to fix 5.

Would be interested is how many of the 15 they fix for you.

• Informative
Reactions: TSLA Pilot
I took it, had them fix it. My post-1000km initial review is here. Generally disappointed by the price vs quality, so I've put it up for sale. Sure, other luxury cars are overpriced but they have customer support which make the price difference worth it. Tesla just completely ignoring all the massive failings unless you stir up dust online is very disappointing.

Reactions: aerodyne
I took it, had them fix it. My post-1000km initial review is here. Generally disappointed by the price vs quality, so I've put it up for sale. Sure, other luxury cars are overpriced but they have customer support which make the price difference worth it. Tesla just completely ignoring all the massive failings unless you stir up dust online is very disappointing.

How’s the resale value there? Here in the US, it’s like 50% drop as soon as you take it home.

How’s the resale value there? Here in the US, it’s like 50% drop as soon as you take it home.
I guess I'll find out, but given that here they almost always come scratched/damaged from official vendor, and the sales reps are utterly incompetent on all levels and it takes forever to arrange anything with them or find out any info, and given that I put ceramic protection on it plus fixed all the issues myself after taking delivery, I think I can make the case to potential buyers that it might be actually better to get it from me rather than official.