Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S blinking Morse code with headlights when parked?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mine's gone too with 2019.28.3.1. I'm a little sad; I was hoping it was build-up to an an Easter Egg.
IMO it was an unnecessary battery drain, combined with putting wear and tear on the headlights. But if you miss it, I'm sure you can write a quick script (or pay some CS student to) to keep flashing your lights all night long via the Tesla App interface. ;)

My husband's 2017 mcu1 ap2 car on 28.3.1 doesn't do what the OP mentioned anymore, but now whenever he goes into and exits the arcade it does it. they will stay on until he exits the arcade then each light will blink and go out and the headlight setting is now set to off instead of AUTO.

By "normal" they mean there is no reason to diagnose your car because it's a bug in the software, so your car is not broken. They don't need your car data to diagnose this, all cars do it. I agree that it's bad communication (a better way to say this would have been "it's a know bug in the software, engineers are working on a fix, you will receive it via OTA when it's released"), but bad communication is par for the course when it comes to Tesla. They don't train their employees in how to communicate well. The only communication training they seem to get is spoon-fed lines about thing like the yellow screens to try to avoid legal liability. Tesla corporate itself has one of the worst records of bad communication with customers - Elon believes CEO tweeting is all a company needs for customer communications. I guess he's right if the only goal is to get as many new customers as possible, rather than retention of existing ones.

I would normally agree, but there are several assumptions in your comment. There seems to be an assumption that he already knew about the firmware problem.

The guy had absolutely no idea that the firmware issue was going on. He obviously didn't want to look into it and dismissed the customer concern, even after I offered to provide security camera footage and mentioned the timing lines up with my last firmware update. Granted, it was the 2-days after the firmware was released, but the 'advisor', never having seen this, or heard of it, dismissed this random flashing lights every 7-45 minutes as NORMAL behavior and talking to the MOTHERSHIP(?) and receiving updates? 20 times a night? He must think the customers are stupid. How about sudden draining of the HV battery?

After I searched on the web and told him it might be happening on other cars as I suspected, he reluctantly went and checked with the tech. Came back and finally confirmed the issue might have been reported by others. They must have looked into their service bulletins.

We all know that their support really needs improvement. Mostly staff training, and but maybe they just need more people. I did have good experience with the Fremont Mobile Service. I recommend trying Mobile if your concerns can be addressed away from the shop.

You are right though - Customer retention doesn't seem to be one of their priorities. I have been telling people not to get Tesla if they are not willing to deal with their horrible service. I do like the products but this will be our last Tesla strictly based on service quality.

Finally, received the version 2019.32 couple days ago, and no more flashing and draining problems.

I would normally agree, but there are several assumptions in your comment. There seems to be an assumption that he already knew about the firmware problem.
Well, I wasn't making an assumption, I simply took your word for it:
Without even looking at the car, the bulletins, etc. the service guy immediately tells me it's NORMAL, and that ALL of their cars in their lot do it,
If he told you that all other cars are doing, that means he knew of the problem and that it is not confined to your specific car, therefore no need to spend time diagnosing your car. He didn't need to know the exact root cause, just that all cars are affected and that diagnosis can be done on any of the Tesla owned cars without inconveniencing customers by keeping their cars in the shop.

What were the other of the several assumptions? ;)

I’ve been stuck on 28.2 while everyone upgrades and experienced this behavior this morning. I’ve had several update statuses in the MCU saying it was downloading and the bar would get about 3/4 cm and then no further. Then the next day it would say the car was up to date, but no updates received... Maybe they keep patching before I can manage to get these versions? Annoying...

I’ve been stuck on 28.2 while everyone upgrades and experienced this behavior this morning. I’ve had several update statuses in the MCU saying it was downloading and the bar would get about 3/4 cm and then no further. Then the next day it would say the car was up to date, but no updates received... Maybe they keep patching before I can manage to get these versions? Annoying...

It sounds like something else is going on with your car.

Reactions: boaterva