Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S charging issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

pauls13

Sep 4, 2022
UK
Hi, so my models will charge for around 15 to 20 minutes before it comes up with the error, "Charger temperature over limit" the error code is CHG f099 which seems to imply the internal charger and not the external one. I am currently using a granny charger, and I have swapped it for a proper Tesla plug-in charger, and I am still getting the same error. My car (which is new to me) recently had a broken AC radiator which I replaced, and I need to get the AC regassed I was wondering if this could be the issue as I know the model S uses the AC to chill the coolant system when supercharging, does it use it also when doing AC charging? Any help will be great.

Snip20220904_6.png

Attachments

• Snip20220904_6.png
    Snip20220904_6.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 211
Pretty certain it does. At least in some manner. After I got home from SC last year for a 3way coolant valve replaced and a few other things, my car woul only charge for 5 or 10 minures in garage on wall charger. But WOULD charge fine on the supercharger. After getting the car back to them, they found a “pinched“ coolant line that wasn’t allowing flow. After that I was back to normal.
it was odd to me tho that it would allow charging on fast DC, but NOT the AC.
anyway. That’s my story.

I believe there is a threshold where the car will actively cool the battery using the AC. When using the onboard charger, the amount of heat typically is not enough to warrant that and you'll just hear the coolant pumps running. This can depend on ambient temperature though.