Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Dilemma

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Jay412

Mar 1, 2020
TX
Hi All.

New to the TMC Forum,

Looking for everyones thoughts. Know I know the decision is ultimately mine but again would love to hear everyones thoughts.

So we currently have a 2013 BMW 5 series and an Audi A4. Was considering Trading BOTH in for a Model S. The Audi is paid off and that would be a trade in and we would sell the BMW.

We were looking at a 2016 Model S. Has anyone every had this or a similar dilemma? Essentially, we want to trade in 2 luxury vehicles for one(newer than we have). We also have a Honda(which is our runner car). We would go from 3 cars to 2. Is this a good move? Thoughts?

Additionally, is AP2 really that MUCH better than the AP1? I realized that some of the 2016's have either the AP1 or AP2.

Your help is appreciated.

Thanks

Reducing cars is another way to be green. ;)

I second the comment above. Teslas are akin to smartphones and computers. So much changes between each year or even several months. Test drive a 2016 and a 2018 and compare for yourself. I will repost the following list:

1. Premium Rear Seat design began July 22, 2017. There have been four generations of seat designs for the Model S:

2. All-glass roof was an option since 2017 and became standard Nov 2018. The panoramic roof option has a slide away sunroof but there are some reports of water and air leaks. Just test it out if you want the slide away roof.

3. Rear cupholders and rear USB ports were added after June 2016. This brings total cupholder count to six.

4. MCU 2 (CPU upgrade) began March 2018. Speedier UI and added entertainment options (Netflix, Hulu, etc.). Not sure if MCU1 also does Caraoke. Alas, much of the entertainment you can replicate with a tablet.

5. Facelift (vs black nosecone) was mid 2016.

6. Sentry Mode and ability to record to USB drive is only on AP2.5 cars (September 2017 and later). You can add aftermarket dashcams but you'd have to add a lot to replicate four camera angles and power parking mode.

Autopilot features not withstanding, I would consider range to be of primary consideration.

I do not know your situation but if you have never lived with an EV you need to seriously consider vehicle range, especially if you take round trip one day drives that exceed the range of your car. Supercharger density and availability varies from state to state. This is something I did not consider and It became very apparent to me right away that any less than 300 miles would present a significant delay in certain longer drives I make here in Texas. For instance if I wish to drive from Austin to Lubbock, Texas, if I do not have at least 300 miles of range to reach Sweetwater, Tx when I start, l have to divert to a longer route and add 1 or more additional hours of drive/supercharging time. It is not 300 miles to Sweetwater but it is uphill and usually windy the whole way. If it is cold then it gets worse.

I do not know the specs of the 2016 MS you are considering but there is a lot of talk about reduced battery range for these years.

Honestly speaking, don't get a used model s that's older than early 2018. Mcu failure and just general lagginess of the screen will make you feel like you are on a galaxy s3. Just go for a model 3 my friend.
I couldn't disagree more. I've bought 4 used Model S now and they represent a significant value in EVs. You can pay 2x-3x more but you're getting maybe 10-15% more day-to-day use improvement. Maybe.

Model 3? ROFL. Not even in the same ballpark.

Reactions: drift
Honestly speaking, don't get a used model s that's older than early 2018. Mcu failure and just general lagginess of the screen will make you feel like you are on a galaxy s3. Just go for a model 3 my friend.

Personally I don't mind the older MCU. Sure it's not as fancy and doesn't have all the games and netflix. But then again, I rarely sit on a SC and when I do, i'll just get some work done while at it or eat. Budgeted a eMMC replacement though,as it will break. Hope to catch it soon enough before it breaks.