Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Door handle DIY kits in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One of my 2014 Model S door handles has stopped presenting. I previously had one repaired under warranty but I'm not too keen on the price of an out-of-warranty repair. There are various DIY kits available from the US which I would be very capable of installing myself. Given I probably will eventually have 2 more to replace I thought it worth learning how.

Stock levels of the kits in the US are very low though, and the places that do have them are quoting extremely high shipping costs ($200 USD!). Does anyone know of an Australian source for these kits, or anywhere else that they can be found?

One of my 2014 Model S door handles has stopped presenting. I previously had one repaired under warranty but I'm not too keen on the price of an out-of-warranty repair. There are various DIY kits available from the US which I would be very capable of installing myself. Given I probably will eventually have 2 more to replace I thought it worth learning how.

Stock levels of the kits in the US are very low though, and the places that do have them are quoting extremely high shipping costs ($200 USD!). Does anyone know of an Australian source for these kits, or anywhere else that they can be found?
I've repaired 3 handles myself on a 2015, all had the broken paddle gear (handle stays in), its a $3 part but requires at least one hour of patience for each handle. I you're going to make the effort it may be wise to order a complete overhaul kit and rebuild the handle to a better standard than the original makers did. Two lines words of caution; Replace all silver stickers that seal the door skin and if you loosen the window make sure its repositioned correctly before closing the door.

I have 4 rebuild handles (for all 4 doors). They all have new waterproof Panasonic micro switches, a new improved gear paddel and improved silicone marine grade wiring. It's bare bones with no crome handle, couloured back plate or handle light. They are 2nd Generation handles.

The deal is: I send out the rebuild handle, you exchange and send back your broken one. Cost is $200 incl. postage. Im not a business, I own a high mileage Model S 85P+ signature and being an EE love to tinker around the car. To swap the handle a certain degree of skills and patience is required. Happy to assist.