Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S First Drive Reviews

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Brian, the rest of the VINs can probably be deduced based on the perf/non-perf distinction but, they seem to follow the pattern of the last few production car VINs that we've seen:

Decoding Tesla Model S VINs

(probably best to continue the VIN discussion over on that thread)
That's the opposite of what I want...

I want real VINs to verify our current theories about the format, and so that we can observe changes and differences.

Thanks for adding to the list. Really liked this review, which touched on things I hadn't noticed about the back seat when I had a chance to be a passenger.

I think he didn't quite mention this aspect, though similar ones: The headroom on the rear seats us much higher towards the middle. Being a few inches above 6', I touch the ceiling (without sunroof) when holding my head close to the window, but when I move it a bit towards the middle, I have more than enough space.

Can anyone help me interpret this quote :
The car showed a maximum potential range of 290 miles on a fully charged battery, but based on the last 30 miles of driving, showed us a predicted range of 165 miles--meaning owners will rapidly learn to trade off the sheer fun of acceleration for longer range.

Is he saying that 30 miles of flogging the car burned up (290-165=)125 miles of range?

Or is he saying that the computer is telling him that if he keeps flogging the car he's only going to get an additional 165 heavily flogged miles?

If the former is true then that seems a little scary that highly spirited driving can reduce range from 290 miles to under 75.

If that's the case maybe Top Gear was right? :crying:

The car showed a maximum potential range of 290 miles on a fully charged battery, but based on the last 30 miles of driving, showed us a predicted range of 165 miles--meaning owners will rapidly learn to trade off the sheer fun of acceleration for longer range.
30 + 165 = 195

Referring to "the chart"...
Model S Efficiency and Range | Blog | Tesla Motors
... that suggests they were averaging around 82mph, if going steady. But they were probably doing "punch it and release" cycles, to get a feel for the accel and decel behavior.

Ok - thanks - good to know!

I don't think that is an onerous penalty for "hot rodding" in the car. In fact I was baking in a 30% reduction when I looked at how much range do I really need / WANT.

Hot rodding a gas powered vehicle hammers your MPG/"range" at least as bad as it does on an EV. The only energy "advantage" that an ICE vehicle has is that as you expend fuel you are lowering the weight of the vehicle and making it slightly more efficient, while an EV maintains a constant weight. In either case, if you want to accelerate more you need to use more energy.

Under race conditions getting sub 100 mile range on a Model S might well be achievable. But an ICE vehicle doing the same thing will see its range reduced in the same way.

Not a bad review. He got a little confused about the chicken and the egg -

"Flush mounted door handles pop out when you unlock the car, which starts by merely sitting in the driver’s seat."

At least the author of the article is honest with his crowd
You collectively paid $465 million dollars to make this report possible so please read it to the end.
(OK, I’ll admit, that’s a cheap shot, but you know you wanted it. Now that we’ve gotten that out of the way, let’s begin.)

Read more: Quick Spin: 2013 Tesla Model S | Fox News

He takes a few slightly inaccurate shots but overall an accurate review from Fox which is good.