Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Front Door Speaker Upgrade (UHFS)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2016 Model S with the UHFS audio system. It's always sounded anemic, lacking 'punch' (for lack of a better description).

I want to try upgrading the front door speakers to start since speakers can make a noticeable difference while amplifier power seems adequate based on the specs.

I've done some web searches and watched several YouTube 'how to' videos and I don't understand why people seem to be using 6.5" speakers for the front when it seems the UHFS audio system has 200mm (8") woofers in the front doors. It seems to me a good quality 8" woofer could move more air than a 6.5" speaker.

I also don't think it makes sense to use a full range coaxial speaker as a replacement for the door woofers. I would think the amplifier powering the woofers would be tuned to the frequency range of a woofer so using a coaxial speaker would be unnecessary. Sure, the mid-range and high frequencies need some improvement too but to me the system has always been lacking a bass punch so upgrading the woofers is where I want to start.

Are there any direct drop-in replacements for the front UFHS 8" woofers that are 8 inches? Preferably something with a similar impedance (1 ohm based on this site's description).

Here is a very helpful post to help you understand the UHFS system: Ideal Aftermarket Audio System for Model S

What may work for you honestly is to get the LH 1200w amplifier and give that a go as it seems to massively improve the overall sound of the UHFS system. LH has stated they are working on a full speaker replacement like they have done with the Model 3 and Model Y as well.

After literally MONTHS of looking, I can't tell you of anything else that is 'drop-in' for the Model S, and certainly nothing in the 8-inch range. Rockford Fosgate or Infinity Kappa 6.5's are going to sound far superior to the original paper 8's in your car, especially if they are powered properly, but then you would need to look into a full amplifier solution as well.

Last edited:
I have a 2016 Model S with the UHFS audio system. It's always sounded anemic, lacking 'punch' (for lack of a better description).

I want to try upgrading the front door speakers to start since speakers can make a noticeable difference while amplifier power seems adequate based on the specs.

I've done some web searches and watched several YouTube 'how to' videos and I don't understand why people seem to be using 6.5" speakers for the front when it seems the UHFS audio system has 200mm (8") woofers in the front doors. It seems to me a good quality 8" woofer could move more air than a 6.5" speaker.

I also don't think it makes sense to use a full range coaxial speaker as a replacement for the door woofers. I would think the amplifier powering the woofers would be tuned to the frequency range of a woofer so using a coaxial speaker would be unnecessary. Sure, the mid-range and high frequencies need some improvement too but to me the system has always been lacking a bass punch so upgrading the woofers is where I want to start.

Are there any direct drop-in replacements for the front UFHS 8" woofers that are 8 inches? Preferably something with a similar impedance (1 ohm based on this site's description).
Did you manage to find anything in the end? The only ones I found so far are infinities mentioned above. I think sound deadening for doors should help too. I don't want to replace amps, just too much hassle and i doubt it would make too much difference, but I'd like to find a drop in replacement for speakers and probably sub

The Tesla door speakers (both 6.5" and 8") are custom-made for Tesla, and the mounting is part of the speaker. This makes the speaker lighter but also makes a drop-in very difficult. Ideally, you need a replacement bracket to fit the speaker to the door frame. It's also a very low-profile design, so a deep speaker will never fit. I came up with a solution for the rear doors (which are always 6.5" speakers) here: Upgrading Rear Door Speakers – TeslaTap

It may give you some ideas. This was on a 2013 S, but is likely the same on the 2016. Today, I would have designed and printed a 3D bracket to hold the speaker. I've not looked, but perhaps someone has a better mounting arrangement. Seems most 3rd parties are designing for the 3 and Y (due to high volumes) today, which are mounted differently.

Reactions: PaulF2020