Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Front End Issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just had a very disappointing experience with my 2017 Model S 75D. The lower control arm on the drivers side had a complete catastrophic failure for no apparent reason. I didnt exactly know what happened at first. It sounded like something had snapped (which it did) and then a loud scraping noise followed. I originally thought it might have been the parking brake but later discovered it was in fact the lower control arm. The tow truck driver told me this was the third time he had seen this problem and said it was mainly due to the fact that the part was made of aluminum instead of steel like most cars. I truly hope that Tesla addresses this issue. I see it as a major safety concern.

I just had a very disappointing experience with my 2017 Model S 75D. The lower control arm on the drivers side had a complete catastrophic failure for no apparent reason. I didnt exactly know what happened at first. It sounded like something had snapped (which it did) and then a loud scraping noise followed. I originally thought it might have been the parking brake but later discovered it was in fact the lower control arm. The tow truck driver told me this was the third time he had seen this problem and said it was mainly due to the fact that the part was made of aluminum instead of steel like most cars. I truly hope that Tesla addresses this issue. I see it as a major safety concern.
What month was your 17 built. Wonder if this had been modified since?

I dont mind at all but the part has been replaced already by Tesla service. There was no charge so I'd say they accepted the fact that there was an issue and/or defective part.
The same thing happened to me, but the Tesla repair shop is telling me that they see other signs of damage (wheel damaged), but I haven't hit anything. So he is telling me that it is not covered by Tesla. Any suggestions for how to get Tesla to cover this?