Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What else can break on my 2014 Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
M'kay. But some reports show the EV's don't save the environment more than gas cars until you get to 70K miles. And then the inevitable battery replacements...
The most I’ve seen is about 3 years or ~45k miles. And a lot depends on the grid.

Interesting article: Are electric vehicles definitely better for the climate than gas-powered cars?

And “inevitable” seems a bit premature since batteries appear to be doing better but time will tell. Old batteries can be recycled so those materials shouldn’t need to be mined again. Yes, that will also add to emissions for this process.

Reactions: navguy12
The most I’ve seen is about 3 years or ~45k miles. And a lot depends on the grid.

Interesting article: Are electric vehicles definitely better for the climate than gas-powered cars?

And “inevitable” seems a bit premature since batteries appear to be doing better but time will tell. Old batteries can be recycled so those materials shouldn’t need to be mined again. Yes, that will also add to emissions for this process.

As you confirmed, like I said before, I am not convinced on the greenness of EV’s even being an early adopter starting in 2011 with EV’s.

@TLLMRRJ and @SO16 completely agree with you all. I tell folks to buy an EV because they like the way it looks, or just want one. And if they aren't really interested in one, then don't buy one. I do think if you drive less than 12k miles a year then your maintenance is almost 0 until after battery warranty expires hahahaha (exactly 1 day after...j/k), so for that reason I got my parents into one and would get one for my kids one day. The thought that they can drive it for the most part without having to have it in the shop often is very appealing. In my experience, I have had a lot of suspension issues, and spend a bit on tires, but I also drive well over 20k miles each year. Additionally, I just loved the idea of getting something that was different and not a BMW or a Mercedes...so I got a Tesla. But now Tesla's are all over the road...and welp not so different anymore.

I've got a 2016 S 90D -- got it from Tesla in 2019 when they were offering the 4 year B2B used warranty. I'm on my last month of the warranty.....
Same for me about 2 weeks left on my 4 year Used car warranty. Right now I am going through my charge port door doesnt open when you press on it. Not a huge deal since it still opens ever other way but might as well get 1 last "free" fix for my car before the warranty runs out.

For me the things fixed has been:
2 door handles
12v battery
heater core
MCU Upgrade (MCU1 was failing/corrupted/rebooted so I paid for the upgrade)
Front Half Shaft replacement (acceleration shudder fix)
Some Misc Panoroof fixes (that have never fixed the stuttering while opening)

• Informative
Reactions: cleverscreenam
Same for me about 2 weeks left on my 4 year Used car warranty. Right now I am going through my charge port door doesnt open when you press on it. Not a huge deal since it still opens ever other way but might as well get 1 last "free" fix for my car before the warranty runs out.

For me the things fixed has been:
2 door handles
12v battery
heater core
MCU Upgrade (MCU1 was failing/corrupted/rebooted so I paid for the upgrade)
Front Half Shaft replacement (acceleration shudder fix)
Some Misc Panoroof fixes (that have never fixed the stuttering while opening)

Oh yeah, I had to have my charger port replaced as well.

My car's a metal roof car. I've had a couple cars destroyed by failed sunroof drains where it's not obvious the sunroof is plugged up until a heavy rain storm and boom the inside of the car is a swamp and the car's effectively ruined.

Sometimes I wonder if I should have gotten a sunroof car -- they're certainly nicer to drive around in on a beautiful day.

Oh yeah, I had to have my charger port replaced as well.
It ended up not being the charger port being broken! LOL. That little button inside the charge door is adjustable and can screw in/out with your finger. The mobile service guy came out and fixed it in 2 seconds and we both had a pretty good laugh.

Today is the last day of my user car warranty and I just found a TSB SB-17-31-001 for replacing the front fire links. TMC thread here: link I am going to submit this today as my last item and hopefully get it fixed since it seems like a ticking time bomb.

• Informative
Reactions: navguy12
We have had a 2014 Model S for over 2.5 years.
It had an HV battery just before we bought it, but I suspect refurbed rather than new.
In our ownership it has an infertainment system fail, two door handles (the same one) and a couple of minor issues. All under warranty. (well, goodwill gesture as the warranty had expired).
I changed the front discs (rotors) and pads as they looked very corroded and changed a pollen filter as it was two years old.
I have just tried to upgrade to MCU2, but there is no UK parts availability at present.
I am aware that it could turn into an expensive liability but I am crossing my fingers that it won't.

And I tell them that only a very few come out ahead in savings for gas compared to electricity when factoring in the premium cost of an EV.
Like me, who's only paying 3.7c/kwh at home, but has 8 free L2 chargers with overnight parking within a mile of home, and DIY repairs everything except motor and battery!
I love that I can buy $40 free-lifetime-replacement Duralast brake pads at AutoZone for this Tesla.

Already had the foresight to select standard coil suspension and install n2itive reinforced control arms (and zero'd the alignment for excellent tire life) thanks to reading this forum :)
I do have the sunroof, darn, so that will eventually leak.
Also if you get your MCU rooted and turn off logging, then your eMMC chip won't fail, and your UI responds to touches faster than when it came out of the factory!

Except now I've learned I need to dump my coolant-cooled RWD and get a D with oil-cooled motors so I can stop getting the drive unit rebuilt with a new coolant seal every 30,000 miles. All though QC Charge might have a motor fix... fingers-crossed!
We are actually currently working on a solution to do just that. We are currently in the prototype phase, and plan to put it on a "test mule" soon. The setup we're using will only replace the water cooling for the rotor with oil (the rest of the drive unit will remain water cooled).

Last edited: