Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What else can break on my 2014 Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I mean, it’s an old car from a startup automaker, all sorts of stuff can break. Some higher likelihood possibilities include:

HV battery
Drive unit
Suspension
Door handles
AC compressor
Onboard charger
DC/DC converter
Infotainment computer and screens
Rear hatch latching mechanism
Active aero louvers in the front bumper
Pano sunroof if equipped

… I’m sure there’s more I’m forgetting.
My 2015 S85D (100,000 miles) only had door handle problems.
I think the earlier years were more problematic.

My Model S has been the most unreliable car I've ever owned. However, kinda expected for a car at this price point.

Haven't had battery or DU failures, but plenty of random issues from suspension, to heat failure, to door handles, and just general creaking due to poor fit and finish. I'm fixing all of them but it hasn't been the same experience Elon simps like to talk about.

The worst part of it all is the service centers in my opinion. The absolute worst service I've seen anywhere. Just a show of incompetence all around.

My Model S has been the most unreliable car I've ever owned. However, kinda expected for a car at this price point.

Haven't had battery or DU failures, but plenty of random issues from suspension, to heat failure, to door handles, and just general creaking due to poor fit and finish. I'm fixing all of them but it hasn't been the same experience Elon simps like to talk about.

The worst part of it all is the service centers in my opinion. The absolute worst service I've seen anywhere. Just a show of incompetence all around.
Or maybe us “simps” just haven’t experienced all those issues that you’ve had…. Yet? Knock on wood.

Have had good experience with my service center too… for the most part. When upgrading my MCU, they didn’t hook up the USBs, so they came to my house and fixed it. I was one of the first to have the upgrade done at that location.

It’s been pretty reliable for me. Much more so than my gas cars. My Ford Escape now needs two repairs that isn’t even worth doing due to the cost and replacement value. (Oil leak requires removing engine to fix seal and AC issue in dash that requires dash removal.). Has only about 7k more miles than my Model S. But it is about 6 years older. I use my MS all the time compared to my Escape… which will be replaced with a CT.

Last edited:
Those fanboys that claim there’s only one moving part on a Tesla compared to hundreds on ICE cars so there’s literally nothing to fail on a Tesla did a big disservice to car buyers setting them up for failure.

And even at one point Tesla was saying their cars were built to last a million miles and that didn’t help keep it real either. They got people thinking their cars were made with new alien parts that never fail versus the reality of many substandard parts, often selected from the parts bins of other mere mortal cars. Any car can last a million miles if you replace all the parts several times.
Well said. And we, unfortunately, fell for it.

Well said. And we, unfortunately, fell for it.
It is unfortunate you are experiencing this issue and honestly wouldn’t buy any model S/X older than 2016 these days.

The S/X are expensive vehicles with expensive components that can fail. But there is some merit to cheaper EV costs per Hertz. Especially on the 3/Y. They have tens of thousands of EVs and can certainly provide better data than anecdotes. Granted these are also newer cars early in their life cycle. Will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Last edited:
It is unfortunate you are experiencing this issue and honestly wouldn’t buy any model S/X older than 2016 these days.

The S/X are expensive vehicles with expensive components that can fail. But there is some merit to cheaper EV costs per Hertz. Especially on the 3/Y. They have tens of thousands of EVs and can certainly provide better data than anecdotes. Granted these are also newer cars early in their life cycle. Will be interesting to see how this plays out.

These days, it's hard to take anything for face value in the media. It would be interesting to dig into the actual data from Hertz to know the full truth.

Modern ICE cars are basically maintenance free for the first 100K miles, except for an annual oil change. Gone are the days of greasing 25 Zerk fittings on the chassis every 6 month, cleaning ignition points every year, changing coolant every 2 years, doing engine oil changes every 3 months, spark plugs every 15K miles, transmission and diff fluid every 30K miles, etc...

So between an electric car and an ICE, it's just an oil change saved. And the Model 3/Y have a nasty habit of needing a cabin filter with an expensive anti-bacterial treatment every 6 months, which costs as much as an oil change and takes even more effort than an oil change.

In the article, the tire thing is brushed off without giving any hard data, but I bet it's a bigger differential cost than they are making it out to be. It doesn't take a lot of research to find out that the correct tires for a Tesla are double the cost of what's available for ICE cars, and that they are often wearing out twice as fast.

And I bet their windshield replacement costs are much, much higher due to Tesla's forcing people to get the glass from them, which is probably not insignificant category of cost for a car rental company, but doesn't make it into these "maintenance" costs.

Reactions: Cooloke
These days, it's hard to take anything for face value in the media. It would be interesting to dig into the actual data from Hertz to know the full truth.

Modern ICE cars are basically maintenance free for the first 100K miles, except for an annual oil change. Gone are the days of greasing 25 Zerk fittings on the chassis every 6 month, cleaning ignition points every year, changing coolant every 2 years, doing engine oil changes every 3 months, spark plugs every 15K miles, transmission and diff fluid every 30K miles, etc...

So between an electric car and an ICE, it's just an oil change saved. And the Model 3/Y have a nasty habit of needing a cabin filter with an expensive anti-bacterial treatment every 6 months, which costs as much as an oil change and takes even more effort than an oil change.

In the article, the tire thing is brushed off without giving any hard data, but I bet it's a bigger differential cost than they are making it out to be. It doesn't take a lot of research to find out that the correct tires for a Tesla are double the cost of what's available for ICE cars, and that they are often wearing out twice as fast.

And I bet their windshield replacement costs are much, much higher due to Tesla's forcing people to get the glass from them, which is probably not insignificant category of cost for a car rental company, but doesn't make it into these "maintenance" costs.
I’ve had my windshield replaced once in 97k miles. Similar to my Ford Escape.

And that Hertz comment was mentioned by the CEO. Probably a recording of it somewhere. And in the article, that savings is supposedly including the tires.

And the filter smell can sometimes be mitigated by cranking the heat for a little bit every once in a while. I think Tesla did a software update to help with leftover moisture too but not sure how much that helped.

I’ve had my windshield replaced once in 97k miles. Similar to my Ford Escape.

And that Hertz comment was mentioned by the CEO. Probably a recording of it somewhere. And in the article, that savings is supposedly including the tires.

And the filter smell can sometimes be mitigated by cranking the heat for a little bit every once in a while. I think Tesla did a software update to help with leftover moisture too but not sure how much that helped.

The Tesla software change didn't help much, if at all, and no renter is going to run the heat for a little bit every once in a while.

And just because the CEO is confirmed to have said it, still doesn't make me believe it at face value because of the points I mentioned above. CEO's don't always tell the truth.

Reactions: Cooloke
The Tesla software change didn't help much, if at all, and no renter is going to run the heat for a little bit every once in a while.

And just because the CEO is confirmed to have said it, still doesn't make me believe it at face value because of the points I mentioned above. CEO's don't always tell the truth.
true… they don’t. But I’d give it a pretty decent chance he is about this.

Thanks for sending that. Interesting

I just noticed this article is from August of 2022. It mentioned that Hertz placed the order for 100K Tesla's in Oct 2021, and they only had 20K of that 100K order at the time of the article.

Since they probably didn't get 20K on day 1, and none of them have even made it a full year of being in the fleet, it's definitely premature to be claiming victory on maintenance costs.

I not buying it. Obviously the Hertz CEO doesn't want to say they made a huge mistake going green, unless he wants to be fired, so I am sure Hertz massaged the limited data they have so far, and certainly an EV publication is going to push the narrative and not dare question it.

Last edited:
I just noticed this article is from August of 2022. It mentioned that Hertz placed the order for 100K Tesla's in Oct 2021, and they only had 20K of that 100K order at the time of the article.

Since they probably didn't get 20K on day 1, and none of them have even made it a full year of being in the fleet, it's definitely premature to be claiming victory on maintenance costs.

I not buying it. Obviously the Hertz CEO doesn't want to say they made a huge mistake going green, unless he wants to be fired, so I am sure Hertz massaged the limited data they have so far, and certainly an EV publication is going to push the narrative and not dare question it.
Something tells me you wouldn’t “buy it” if the statement was made last night. Lol.

From Feb of this year albeit not exactly applicable discussing 3rd quarter earnings call.

20k vehicles is a decent number for assessing this.

But I do agree more time passing is a better metric. Will just have to wait and see.

Last edited:
Reactions: navguy12
Something tells me you wouldn’t “buy it” if the statement was made last night. Lol.

You, sir, are correct!

After owning a number of EV's and modern ICE cars, I never tell my friends that they should buy an EV with the false hopes of coming out ahead on total cost of ownership through maintenance savings, for the reasons I listed above. Just the extra expense of tires and cabin filter cleanings negate the annual oil change savings and effort.

And I tell them that only a very few come out ahead in savings for gas compared to electricity when factoring in the premium cost of an EV. I am also not convinced about the greenness of the EVs, especially for people like me that put very few miles on my cars because I work from home. And I tell them never to believe the nonsense that they don't break because there is less to fail with only 1 moving part. What a joke that last one is!

I tell them they should only buy an EV for the smooth drivetrain and the performance, which makes them very nice city cars in traffic as well as on the highway. That's why I buy them.

You, sir, are correct!

After owning a number of EV's and modern ICE cars, I never tell my friends that they should buy an EV with the false hopes of coming out ahead on total cost of ownership through maintenance savings, for the reasons I listed above. Just the extra expense of tires and cabin filter cleanings negate the annual oil change savings and effort.

And I tell them that only a very few come out ahead in savings for gas compared to electricity when factoring in the premium cost of an EV. I am also not convinced about the greenness of the EVs, especially for people like me that put very few miles on my cars because I work from home. And I tell them never to believe the nonsense that they don't break because there is less to fail with only 1 moving part. What a joke that last one is!

I tell them they should only buy an EV for the smooth drivetrain and the performance, which makes them very nice city cars in traffic as well as on the highway. That's why I buy them.
If you don’t drive much, no highway rated vehicle will make sense environment or cost wise. In fact, a gas hummer would be better for the environment than many EVs if all it did was sit in the garage.

Reactions: navguy12