Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S history, anyone know this car ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Put deposit on this 2015 S 85 today. Sale pending on finance and car history.
Does anyone know the previous owner ? Bronze or Titanium.
Front right swing arm is cracked, blinker stalk not cancelling.
Plastic sill trim ripped.
20210214_155037.jpg
20210214_160147.jpg

The most important bit, is making sure Tesla has not banned the car from support, due to a previous accident or theft.
As Tesla’s don’t need regular servicing like ICEs there may not be much history.
I would be ultra careful buying a Tesla from a third party.
I would start by asking a Tesla service centre to quote for the repairs and make sure the VIN is on the quote.
Having said that, even the quote is a guarantee of continuing support from Tesla.

It is listed on the Australia recall list, so Tesla does have more data about it.
CarFacts Au does have the car data. I did not pay for their data. For the most part accident history will be there. Tesla almost always has accident history but they might not if there were no Tesla parts listed.

Ownership history is different. Unless the seller will identify history for you I do not know how to get it. In most AU States you can get State repossession data and some accident history. I haven't done that in AU for some years so I am not up-to-date.

The most important bit, is making sure Tesla has not banned the car from support, due to a previous accident or theft.
As Tesla’s don’t need regular servicing like ICEs there may not be much history.
I would be ultra careful buying a Tesla from a third party.
I would start by asking a Tesla service centre to quote for the repairs and make sure the VIN is on the quote.
Having said that, even the quote is a guarantee of continuing support from Tesla.
This is essential advice for anybody anywhere. Many Tesla service centers will do a complete inspection on request. That is not cheap and they may or may not do it. If they do you are assured of the condition of the vehicle and Tesla willingness to support it. FWIW, Tesla routinely does that after Tesla authorized collision repair, with that service appearing in their records. That is another reason paying for a Tesla inspection is worthwhile.

Sometimes you can have them do upgrades during that process. That is normally worthwhile also.

The car:
Not dual motor, no sunroof, no leather, no air suspension.
If it doesn’t have a powered tailgate then it doesn’t have the Tech package
Most likely doesn’t have sound package either.
So it looks like the original purchaser only ticked one option of Titanium paint colour.
The risks:
No mileage quoted and no history and the suspension problems that suggest it may have either hit a curb or been in a larger accident.
This is a large gamble. IMHO.
At the very least, get a vehicle history report from RMS for $22.00
https://my.service.nsw.gov.au/MyServiceNSW/index#/rms/vehicleHistoryReport/details

Reactions: houdini
Seller has created a Tesla account and has booked the vehicle in at Mascot for detailed inspection.
Vehicle isnt perfect but isnt a basket case either. Has powered tailgate, Free Supercharging and AutoPilot.
I have a deposit on it, sale pending inspection and finance.
Only thing bothering me is Tesla the company, not the car.
Am looking forward to being part of the Tesla community

Last edited:
The Car has been to Tesla and had the blinker stalk replaced and inet rebooted.
Ive asked the dealer for a refund of the deposit as ive decided not to buy it.
It should be back on the market soon. It has some panel damage left side, thats
one thing Im not good at fixing.
Iill need an update of some sort that will cost $2300 at buyers expense.
Not sure about SuperCharging or AutoPilot.

price seems steep for that example.
Have to rmbr dealerships must warranty cars they sell so higher price is normal.
Well see how quickly it sells. Sales manager petulantly forced me to take back deposit because I couldnt organise finance quickly enough.
I wasnt familiar with the way they do finance these days and wasnt satisfied with the security of bank document transfer.
I still kind of like the car, who wants to go halvies ?

Last edited:
I don’t really want the competition but at that price you can near get a P model at Auction.

Spoke with an owner of a Titanium 85D with less than 1/2 that mileage for not much more that that over a year ago.

I guess financing the purchase limits the options of where you can buy.

So is that place really an Auction House, or a Used Dealer?

Last edited: