Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S I'm glad I or I wish I'd...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Working on narrowing down what I'm looking for in my first Tesla and curious to see what others who bought feel like they wish they had or feel like they were glad they got. Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks.

So far I think my hit list is:
EAP - Which I can always buy later.
Premium Sound
Pano roof

Would an extended warranty be worth it on one of the 16.5s?

Working on narrowing down what I'm looking for in my first Tesla and curious to see what others who bought feel like they wish they had or feel like they were glad they got. Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks.

Premium Sound
Pano roof

It’s totally a question of what you care about. I have a May 2017 75. I have the sunroof and love it. Don’t have premium sound / interior and am fine with that. Might feel differently if I spent time with premium sound and could compare them directly, but I have no complaints about what I have. I have EAP/FSD and wouldn’t trade EAP for anything; I use it all the time and would seriously miss it.

In terms of what I’d change if I could do it over again, I’d get a 75D just to get the performance uncorking. At the time the 0-60 difference was like 2 tenths of a second or something. Not nearly enough for me to care and the extra 10 mi of range didn’t make any practical difference to me. Had I known the whole uncorking thing was coming, I absolutely would have spent the extra to get that 1s performance bump. Oh well, this just leaves something for me to be excited about in my next one someday.

Reactions: jlv1

Premium Sound
Pano roof

I bought a cpo 2015 70 back in October last year.... I can say all I want at this point is quicker.... so I wish I'd gotten a P85 or better.... otherwise happy with mine... ap1 is fine for me and my travels....

Premium Sound
Pano roof

Seeing you are in Arizona and based our own MS, I'd bring up whether you might want to look for one with ventilated seats. We love ours and it has gotten into the 90s-100s here so have appreciated it. Our car was Ordered 12/31/16, refreshed front, AP2 and Tesla offered the ventilated seats around that time so that's in the time frame I think you are looking. We love our Pano roof with the Tesla Sunshade to open it up sometimes and keep the bugs out for the most part. We have a 75D and my husband's one regret would be that he wished he had maybe ordered a larger battery, the 90D was available at that time. The 100D came out sometime after the 90D (and he would have ideally loved the 100D battery) however I think at that time the ventilated seats were eliminated for newer vegan seats by the time the 100D came out but could be wrong. The Model X was the only car that had the ventilated seats until this very brief offer period on the Model S.

We manage fine with the 75D but of course you always want more if you can. Not so much a problem with more Superchargers and destination chargers around if you travel. Our mobile charging kit came with all the major adapters--the J1772 would be our most used. We also ordered at the time when we got free supercharging for the lifetime of the car even if we sold it. So if you travel alot that might be something to consider as well.

We took our car in to Tesla when they started offered the uncorking. Mostly knew about it through this website but there could be others out there that weren't aware of it so might not have been done.

When we bought our car we paid extra for the Premium Upgrades package (what was included changed up as time went on) with autolift gate (nice to have as the rear hatch section is heavy), ventilated seats, fog lights, premium sound, forgot what else it came with but some of that was made standard later in 2017. Also bought EAP -- husband wouldn't order a car without, loves his TACC on the highway. We paid extra at that time for the cold weather package (rear heated seats, heated side mirrors, heated wipers). Had the parcel shelf too for the cargo area (might have been part of the premium package). BTW if the car has EAP you get not only TACC, Autosteer, but AutoPark, Summons and I think something else. You can't buy EAP now, just AP with TACC and Autosteer. The rest of the features EAP came with are now included under FSD.

The MS is a great car. Good luck in your search. Don't know if this will help but here's the config on our car (ordered 12/31/16, delivered 3/17).

ms - 1.jpg

No real issues with the car other than we had the MCU replaced once back in 1/2018 for the yellow border issue. It's appeared on the replacement as well. We did take our car in each year so far for the annual maintenance service which was sold at the time (don't know if they are still doing that but something to find out I guess). I believe if the original owner bought the extended warranty plan (not maintenance plan) that would pass on to the benefit of a second owner.

Last edited:
Glad I have:
  • Performance, the price gap these days is much smaller and it never gets old. Never.
  • Blue paint - I look at other Model S cars and think they look pretty, but then look back at mine and get immediate reassurance I have the right car
  • A Model S, its the best car I've been in period. I prefer it over a 3 or an X too, it is the right size for me and my family. Plus its definitely the best looking car.
  • 330ish miles of range, any less would make road trips hard with our lack of superchargers. This may be less of an issue if your local charging options are better.
  • EAP, Autopilot with party tricks.
  • MCU 2, mine was made just after its release, its buttery smooth
  • An 18kW charger in my garage! Do this!
  • My $35 USB C adapter for plugging in my phone. The creature comforts matter!
  • Spotify! On of the bigger pluses for Australia
  • Homelink - a pain to get working here, but worth it when you do
  • Premium sound, its the best sound system I own, which is great because its also the most likely time I will listen to music.
Glad i don't have

• FSD, I am a firm believer that FSD will be a premium option for about 1 year. After that anyone who wants to use FSD can just call an Uber/Tesla network/etc. FSD will be for the poor, where as driving yourself will become a luxury "feature"!
  • The old style with the ugly nosecone. Facelift S is a strong preference for me.
  • Tan or grey interior (vomit)
  • Complicated door pockets or more places that my wife or kids could hide sticky stuff and sugary drinks!

Am on the fence with:
  • 21" wheels, the only really plus is they look pretty (but they do look really pretty!) Maybe they corner better, but considering the S isn't a track (with corners) car that's kinda mute. Probably would recommend getting 19" and upgrading to aftermarket 20" the first time you change tires.
  • Sunroof, its great on very rare occasions, like 4 times a year! In Australia, summer is too hot to have it open, winter too cold, the goldie locks zone too short. Having a fully open glass roof without that center bar often seems like a better choice for that open feeling.
  • Air suspension - feels smooth, adjustable high is good, but can't help but feel it will be a liability after warranty
  • Sub-zero weather package, for Australia? Really?
  • Hepa filter... The air is already pretty good here in the most isolated city on the planet!

Wish I had:
  • White interior, I bought an ex demo, this was my only compromise from my ideal spec at the time before I knew what I know now. I don't regret it given the saving, but still it would have been nice.
  • Rear facing seats, never was a legal option in Australia, the X was just too ugly, so sometimes we need to take two cars, oh well.
  • Not gotten PPF (not a factory option) but lets be fair, the Tesla isn't a collector car and the paint isn't so awesome it is worth spending that much to protect. Just get a vinyl wrap in 4-5 years if/when it starts to look ugly.
  • CCS2 compatibility, I will have to pay for this upgrade shortly, I only have one Supercharger in range, it is 3 hours south.

• Love
Reactions: darxsys and P85_DA
I have only had my 2016 S90D (nose cone)for a few weeks that i bought used from Tesla but here is my list...

Glad I have:
  • Titanium metallic paint. - I love how unique it makes the car look. I didn't want something flashy that draws attention to the car and I didn't want black, or white, or silver. I feel like i found the perfect color for me
  • Autopilot with convenience features - OMG this makes stop and go traffic or long drives amazingly easy... a must have!
  • Dual drive motors - AWD for bad weather and even tire wear
  • Premium package - Power lift gate is cool.
  • Older model to save a ton of $$$$ but still be driving the best brand of car in the world!
Glad i don't have
  • 21" wheels. They look great but are not practical. I would not buy a model S with them since they would cost so much to maintain
  • Solid roof - I needed a glass roof and the sunroof is awesome

Am on the fence with:
  • Air suspension - feels smooth, adjustable high is good, but can't help but feel it will be a liability after warranty (same as someone else said)
  • Sub-zero weather package - Would have been cool for the heated steering wheel but I keep the car in the garage so it isnt a deal breaker. Also the heated front windshield seems like it would cost more to replace since it has heating elements in the glass.
  • High power charger - I wouldn't have a use for this. I don't drive enough miles to warrant getting faster charging at home

Wish I had:
  • Performance model - who doesn't want more speed even though a 90D is already really quick. The price difference of 5-10k for the used ones I was looking at just pushed it out of my price range at the time. I figured I would upgrade to a P model on my next Tesla in a few years.
  • More money to get a new P100DL. (Obviously)
  • Newer model to get the following features
  • -HEPA filter on the newer models - would be nice to not smell big trucks. my pre-facelift cabin filter leaves much to be desired for (Cabin Filter Mod (Pre-Facelift))
  • -AP 2.5 to eventually get navigate by auto pilot and enhanced summon. - Everyone i talk to the car about asks about it and it would be nice to show off how cool it could be.

Wish I'd gotten something > 75kWh in my S. We use it for road trips and the faster SuC speed (along with greater range) would have been nice. Before the recent update, the 75 maxed out SuperCharging at 99kWh, vs. 116kWh in the X. It adds 5-10 minutes every time we SuC on a trip (which annoys the wife more than me).

I love the Pano roof in my S. I drive with the roof open whenever I can.

EAP is a must. I really prefer AP2 to AP1 (I've driven a loaner with AP1 and it worked just fine, but AP2 is getting new features and AP1 isn't).

It gets cold and we take the car up north for skiing, so I'm glad I have the sub-zero package. This probably doesn't apply to AZ.

The 20" wheels get better range and cost less, so I'm happy I have those. Similarly, I had no need for either car to be Performance.

My S is missing a few things I have in the X (as they were no longer options when we got the X): Premium Package, Air Suspension, and HEPA/bioweapon. I don't think I miss them at all.

For the air suspension - I've had a loaner S with it and couldn't tell the difference at all.

I don't notice any audible difference with Premium Sound in the X. The only difference I do see is when I get back into the car, the last streamed song resumes in the middle. In the S, it starts over at the beginning. I personally prefer the way it works non-Premium (start over).

I've considered adding the HEPA filter to the S as now it's just a $750 option, but I haven't yet really ever had a need for it. We've had it in the X for 6 months and have yet to use the bioweapon mode. So I'm on the fence here.

MCU2/AP2.5 is better than MCU1/AP2 in that it enables the dashcam and real Sentry Mode, which are important features. Outside of that, the daily usability difference in the MCU1 vs 2 isn't very noticeable (my X has MCU2).

Reactions: Cheburashka
I am very picky. I wanted all of the following:

Sunroof
Black leather interior with cooled seats
Black headliner
Blue exterior
Cold weather package - I loved the heated steering wheel early in the Arizona winter mornings
Air suspension
19" blue wheels
Rear-facing seats (did not get - thought I could add later as I did with my 2014)
Autopilot
Dual motors
large battery

I went overboard with the 2016 P100D that I purchased, but I love this car.

I don't care much for the air suspension. Seems like more trouble than it's worth unless you have a steep driveway. I've driven both and I don't see a huge difference.

No offense to the people with the premium stereo, but it doesn't sound nearly as good as a real premium stereo in a luxury car like a Mercedes. IMO only marginally better than the standard one but not enough to be a deal blocker.

75D has more than enough range for all the driving I do. For road trips there are plenty of chargers everywhere and it charges very quick with the latest update.