Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S in 2022

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is the regular S still to get in 2022?
I was considering the MYP, but that thing ballooned to $70k and now the difference is just $30k
Always wanted the S and since the model has matured enough, I think its the one to get, however the possibility of being discontinued is a concern
Besides having the longer range and being faster, what other premium options over the Y?

I was considering the MYP, but that thing ballooned to $70k and now the difference is just $30k
Always wanted the S and since the model has matured enough, I think its the one to get, however the possibility of being discontinued is a concern
Besides having the longer range and being faster, what other premium options over the Y?
Just $30K? That's still a good chunk of change. I don't think the S is being discontinued, have you heard otherwise? The main difference is the air suspension on the S. Of course you also also get the display in front of you and the rear screen as well.
But you also only get half a steering wheel, so you also need to factor that in.
When I bought my S in 2019 for $84K I thought it was overpriced for what you get. Now that the price has crept close to 6 figures for the base S, I don't think the price is worthy of the car. The S is a great car, but not a 6 figure car. If they were selling the refreshed S at the $84K price range still it would be a buy.

Just $30K? That's still a good chunk of change. I don't think the S is being discontinued, have you heard otherwise? The main difference is the air suspension on the S. Of course you also also get the display in front of you and the rear screen as well.
But you also only get half a steering wheel, so you also need to factor that in.
When I bought my S in 2019 for $84K I thought it was overpriced for what you get. Now that the price has crept close to 6 figures for the base S, I don't think the price is worthy of the car. The S is a great car, but not a 6 figure car. If they were selling the refreshed S at the $84K price range still it would be a buy.
I still kinda wish I bought one of those $69,420 long range Ravens. That was a damn good deal.

That's the dilemma. I don't think the MYP is worth $70k either and the S is a damn expensive, but the range/performance is significantly greater. As you mentioned we are getting to the point where these cars are just simply getting expensive for what they are. I guess the Model 3 makes the most sense if you want to get a taste of Tesla...

Whether a car is worth it or not to you is subjective, but whether it is “worth it” more objectively is determined by the market.

There is currently a substantial waiting list to buy the model S.

The average new car sold in America is over $47k. Is a model S worth twice as much? Buyers waiting 6 months for one seem to think so.

Now just $30k? The difference has actually gotten wider. A year ago, the MYP base price was $60,990 versus $79,990 for the MS. The difference had been $19k and is now $32k.

You should really try to drive both models before deciding. Although MS sales are down (in part because of production stoppage/delay in 2021), I have not heard any rumors of it being discontinued.