Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S In My Future, But Questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I own a Model 3 SR+ with FSD. This Jan or Feb I plan to get a Model S Performance... maybe even a Plaid. A few days ago I went to a Tesla store and test drove an S-P, but I went away with a couple of unanswered questions.

1. The dash display behind the steering wheel was too dim for my liking and I couldn't see how to make it brighter. Is there a way?

2. The turn signal has a mechanical latch and a distinctive click (and movement) as it unlatches when exiting a turn. How does that work when asking AutoPilot to change lanes? Does it even go back to neutral once the lane change is done?

3. I was handed a key-FOB for the test drive, and the sales guy didn't know if my phone could be set up as a key. Can it?

(One thing the test drive did was to tell me how my wife would react to max acceleration. In just one run she got dizzy and then a little nauseated. Made me promise never to do that when I get my S. I'm OK with that.)

The display brightness is adjustable, but normally automatic. It may have been dialed down on manual or in night mode. It's normally bright and visible.

In AP, a halfway signal is enough to trigger a lane change - engage the signal just before it clicks and holds.

The phone can open, start and control the car, but it is not like the key functionality of the 3. The car does sense the fob as you walk towards the car, but does not sense the phone - you have to open the app and press buttons.

Last edited:
The display brightness is adjustable, but normally automatic. It may have been dialed down on manual or in night mode. It's normally bright and visible.

In AP, a halfway signal is enough to trigger a lane change - engage the signal just before it clicks and holds.

The phone can open, start and control the car, but it is not like the key functionality of the 3. The car does sense the fob as you walk towards the car, but does not sense the phoone - you have to open the app and press buttons.

Thank you. I'll hold on to hoping the phone can be used in the rumored design refresh of the S this fall.

Thank you. I'll hold on to hoping the phone can be used in the rumored design refresh of the S this fall.

One small advantage of using the fob (possibly very small, depending upon your point of view!) is that in the US you can do basic Summon with the key fob instead of the phone. Summon responds faster with the fob than with the phone and is not dependent on an Internet connection (our local TMC section had a race at an event a couple of years ago that proved this nicely!).

yeah, the key fob is nice to have with summon. I dont have the best cellular connection while at home, and the wifi doesnt even allow you to use the summon feature set. So having the fob you can park the car, or "summon" into the garage fairly easily as long as you have it lined up. It wont steer it into a space, but effectively move it forward or backward, which is nice.