Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Strong Internet Signal, but my Model S Refuses to Connect

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Upgrades for my Model S used to be so simple---they arrived via satellite. Now Tesla wants me to connect via internet. When I go to connect via the internet, signal strength is 4 bars (I take my laptop into my Tesla, and it connects perfectly). But when I type in my SSID, I receive a "not found' response.

Do I need to turn on a switch somewhere to enable my Model S to receive my strong wireless internet signal?

Upgrades for my Model S used to be so simple---they arrived via satellite. Now Tesla wants me to connect via internet. When I go to connect via the internet, signal strength is 4 bars (I take my laptop into my Tesla, and it connects perfectly). But when I type in my SSID, I receive a "not found' response.

Do I need to turn on a switch somewhere to enable my Model S to receive my strong wireless internet signal?
What year is your S? What band is your wi-fi? Older S's cant connect to 5gHz wifi.

BTW, Teslas never used satellite, it uses cell, much different.

When you click the wireless icon, the car should display a list of wireless SSIDs it can see, Don't type the SSID in like you described above, click the wireless SSID displayed and then enter your password. Agreed with @GHammer that it is possible that your router is not bradcasting a 2.4Ghz signal, but that would be unusual if you have any "Internet of Things" devices around the house.

Agreed with @GHammer that it is possible that your router is not bradcasting a 2.4Ghz signal, but that would be unusual if you have any "Internet of Things" devices around the house.
Agree, that may be the issue. You should be able to turn on 2.4Ghz at the router or WAP.

FWIW, 5Ghz is higher bandwidth but short range, 2.4Ghz goes much farther and is better at penetrating walls. Assuming your car is in the garage and a distance from your WAP, you want 2.4 turned on regardless of the Tesla model.

Tesla with optional satellite antenna. 😂 - I’ll bet that really hurts your range.
IMG_1890.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: DerbyDave
My Mesh home internet system broadcasts both 2.4 & 5MHz. I have 4 nodes; one is in the garage 10 ft from My Model S, so signal strength is not a problem. BTW, when I click the wireless icon (with 4 bars of signal strength indicated) , there are NO SSIDs displayed. When I type my SSID in manually and click 'connect,' it responds "not found'

My Mesh home internet system broadcasts both 2.4 & 5MHz. I have 4 nodes; one is in the garage 10 ft from My Model S, so signal strength is not a problem. BTW, when I click the wireless icon (with 4 bars of signal strength indicated) , there are NO SSIDs displayed. When I type my SSID in manually and click 'connect,' it responds "not found'
Reboot the car and try again.

Reactions: GHammer
Also, to rule out a router config issue, make your phone a hotspot, and connect to that. If that network is not shown, your car's wifi module may not be working. I'd say likely the node serving your car is a 5GHz network only.

As a test, I'd disable the 5 GHz in your router/mesh and see if that helps. While your 2023 Y Supports 5 GHz, it could be trying that, and the signal is just too weak but the car doesn't switch to 2.4 GHz. While not an issue on my 2022 Tesla, I have an RGB lighting item in my house that outright fails if 5 GHz is enabled, and I have to turn 5 GHz off temporarily to have it connect to the WiFi.