Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S in the snow/cold

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Won't help the OP with his question, driving from the sunbelt to Utah ski country, but others might like to see this snowfall map from a Tire Rack article on snow tires:

annual%2520average%2520snowfall%2520large%2520cropped.jpg

I happen to live in the dark blue zone, no surprise.

In my experience the progression for driving on snow and ice goes like this:

AWD+snow tires > RWD+snow tires > AWD+all season tires > RWD+all season tires

The safety issue with driving on snow and ice isn't "getting going," it is "stopping and turning" and AWD doesn't help much with that.

My 2¢.

I agree with others
Snow tires all the way.

The tires are the ONLY thing that contacts the roads
As such, Only the tires can keep you on a road in slippery conditions
(AWD does not keep you on the road. See all the SUVs in the ditches during blizzards)

You’ll never miss the few hundred bucks.
You’ll have many regrets if you get into an accident while on all seasons

Love that video of the S in the snow. Shows what a capable car it is, and also shows its Achilles heel, the clearance

Watch the tire rack videos “all seasons vs winter tires” for a demonstration

First of all, apologies for my ignorance as I'm Southern California raised so have no winter coping skills. When we drive up to the local mountains in ICE cars, we'd just carry some snow chains in case we got to the point where they made us put on chains. The family is planning a ski trip to Brian Head Utah next February and I'm wondering: in my 100D will I need to carry chains also? Would I put them on the front or rear wheels? Is there a brand/type of chain that works best with our cars? Also, I think driving from SoCal to Utah is going to be an experience in itself, even in good weather!

Will be headed to Vegas and Brian Head over Christmas in my MX 75D. Will see how it goes. Have some all season contis with 8/32 and the maggi trak chains.

Reactions: kingkong5
;)

Thats what I get for blabbidy-blabbing, shoulda just said "buy snow tires you won't regret it." Ok fine here ya go, this was Day 1 of the epic Erie Christmas storm of 2017:

Didn't get vids of towing through the snow, with a Tesla trailer sleigh...here's a pic:View attachment 477133View attachment 477140

Which winter tires are you using? First snow we had, I was on the summer tires which handled mostly well... until I made a turn on a particularly icy intersection. I thought a Tesla AWD was too heavy to slip and slide. I was wrong.

That's why I switched to real winter tires for winter.

Reactions: dgpcolorado
I drive up to Tahoe weekly. I carry chains, only because it is required. The chains are for an older car, probably don't even fit, and I would never put them on my Model S or my Model X. Yes, I know I could get busted, but I have only been asked to show my chains I am carrying once or twice in 20 years, and both times they did not look at the size of the chains. The AWD Teslas are great in the snow, with decent tires, and I couldn't imagine ever needing chains. I drive through some gnarly storms as well, as I am a fresh snow chaser.

First of all, apologies for my ignorance as I'm Southern California raised so have no winter coping skills. When we drive up to the local mountains in ICE cars, we'd just carry some snow chains in case we got to the point where they made us put on chains. The family is planning a ski trip to Brian Head Utah next February and I'm wondering: in my 100D will I need to carry chains also? Would I put them on the front or rear wheels? Is there a brand/type of chain that works best with our cars? Also, I think driving from SoCal to Utah is going to be an experience in itself, even in good weather!

Just got back from my trip to brian head in the MX 75d. Car handled ok in the snow with the all season contis. It snowed each day we were there and I had chains available but it was never quite bad enough that I needed to put them on, though i definitely would have them on backup for sure, because i can see the conditions getting bad real quick. The drive up to brian head on 143 is much easier than say, the drive up to Big Bear though in my opinion. Make sure you buy Tesla approved chains otherwise your control arms will probably get busted like that other guy who just recently posted. Range was definitely decreased, but it was hard to tell whether from the sub freezing weather or the 4000 ft elevation climb from cedar city to brian head.

a couple of quirks in the MX, in the 10 degree weather both falcon wing doors both refused to open because of 'obstacle detected.' could have been ice buildup, but i couldn't override and couldn't get them open at all. kids had to climb out the front. that was annoying. another day the mirrors froze and wouldnt' open back up. one time the driver's door wouldn't close, probably due to the ice. another time the driver's window wouldn't close. both times i had to blast the heater and smack ice off the door and jamb to get them to close.

also driving in the cold and snow, pretty much it was a new error message every 10 minutes. either the radar wouldn't work, or the cameras were blocked (probably ice), or some other sensor wouldn't work, but don't plan on using any autopilot or automated features. all in all the car did ok in the cold, but the road trip worthiness of the 75D is questionable. it only goes about 130-140 miles before having to recharge, and charging it seems to take forever even with good superchargers. much easier to just take an ICE IMO. i'm sure your 100D will have less range issues.