Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S is a $60k car now...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe you need to try driving with a HUD and you'll see why people want them. If you think that an instrument panel is the same as a HUD, you may not understand what I'm talking about.

The other important features with the 530e? REALLY comfortable seats. A very quiet cabin. A great blend of performance and luxury.

And yes, we drive long distances pretty frequently.

While I know that I can't see myself ever buying another fossil-powered (or even hybrid) car again, I will say that I admit I miss the HUD that I had in my BMW 650i. And if that AutoPilot display was in a HUD - that would be the best of both worlds...having your situational awareness aspects like AP (and next nav turn) in the HUD where you don't need to take your eyes off the road and then have everything else displayed in the IC (things that don't require as much attention) would be great.

I remember that Tesla hired some expert in HUD a couple of years ago so it is still possible they might bring a HUD at some point. It is more useful than some might think. Personally, it was my favorite option on my last BMW.

That said, would I trade a HUD or even HUD plus better seats for all the advantages I get from driving a Tesla? Definitely not!

Long trips are awesome in my Tesla. I recently took a NOA trip 410 miles across three highway/freeways. Total minutes manually driving (exempting city driving to Supercharge and get food) on a 5 hour 30 minute trip: 0 minutes and about 40 seconds.

That's right... 40 seconds of active driving over 410 miles. Oh, and only one single disengagement over that whole stretch of 400+ miles (and that was an extremely weird situation). Incredible. Arrived completely refreshed like I had driven an hour or two when in fact it was 5.5 hrs of driving time. So while I do realize the benefits of a HUD (and would like one), I'm quite happy to keep (dual) motoring without one to enjoy all the other benefits of an EV and Tesla in particular. Especially love that my car keeps getting better and more capable over time. That itself is worth more than a HUD and some better seats to me.

Everyone recognizes this, so I am not saying anything new. I just hope Tesla is working towards better cabin comfort.
I have the opposite impression.
I bought my Model S in late 2017 after 6 years in a Mercedes GL.
The Merc was a wonderful car, but stepping into the MS immediately revealed that the word "quiet" has a different meaning!
Many people can confirm that more recent MS have much better body insulation against noise, and every friend I ride on my MS is astonished by how quiet the car is. Nobody ever complimented my Merc for the quietness (and it was quiet compared to other ICE cars).