Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Leaking Coolant repaired

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last week while driving I got an alert saying coolant is low. Got home and the next morning had a puddle of coolant on the garage floor. So I made an appointment at first with a ranger however Tesla reached back out saying a ranger cannot fix my issue I must bring it in. Fast forwarding to appointment day, I did not want to risk the 50 mile drive so i called TESLA road side for a tow. Tesla denied my roadside tow saying leaking coolant and the alert on my dash was not enough for a qualified tow. I was not in the mood to put up an argument even though I'm warrantied and tow should be included. I ended up just using my AAA. Finally arrived to TESLA in Mt. Kisco with the tow truck driver @ 10am with a 2:30p appt. They were more than willing to immediately pull my vehicle in to diagnose even though I was 4.5hrs early. Tech said they had a strong gut feeling it was the 4 way coolant valve. Within 15 mins they came back to me and said they don't have the part in stock but will have it the following day. Sure enough the next morning I got the message saying the car was ready for pick!!

Great customer serivce from TESLA Mt.Kisco poor knowledge from TESLA road side. If I did not have AAA I would have to escalate a complaint with TESLA to recover my towing fees since they refused to tow and the leaking coolant issue was covered under warranty.

Reactions: Tam
I would have to escalate a complaint with TESLA to recover my towing fees since they refused to tow and the leaking coolant issue was covered under warranty.

They only cover a tow for warrantied issues that cause the car to be undriveable. Apparently the low coolant warning isn't serious enough to be undriveable. (I think it limits power, etc. to prevent it from being a problem.)

Had the same issue with my model S recently. All the coolant dumped out, warning messages flashed all over the dash “reduced power”, “do not drive”, “call service”, etc..

I called roadside assistance and the told me to drive it in. Ummmm...the car literally says “do not drive”.

Terrible, terrible service. In any case, that experience prompted me to renew with AAA.

Reactions: Dypkny845
Just had same experience! 1,600 miles. Model S performance. Car says “low coolant”. Leaks all over front of car lower front bumper and all over garage floor. Tesla rep said, “drive it to dealer”. Crazy! Great strategy to potentially damage battery on 50 mile trip to the service center. I said “no way”. They proceeded to tell me that towing would be out of pocket and I could wrestle (my words) with Tesla service over reimbursement. Really?!?!? $120,000 on the car and they are nickel and diming me?!? Bad boogie!!!

Attachments

• 729F4C28-5A1E-44DB-BB2D-020BBCD2E3E5.jpeg
    729F4C28-5A1E-44DB-BB2D-020BBCD2E3E5.jpeg
    600.7 KB · Views: 748
Reactions: Dypkny845 and glide
Hi Coolant Leakers,

I had similar messages on my 2018 Model X100D.
They repaired it after ordering parts.
The hoses on the rear drive unit had pinholes as a result of rodent damage.
The hoses were replaced and all is good...

What was wrong with your cars???

Shawn

I pay for extra towing distance just in case. I also pay for towing on every vehicle. It's gotten carzy. Tesla refused to send ranger to diagnose my cooling problems. Must make appointment, lady, I work 8 to 4, that's not cool for me to drive 50 miles for a five minute diagnosis. She went off on repair, I said no, that takes 2 weeks planning.
Oh, wait till u damage a tire. TOW. I ruined 3 last year. Zero cost to roll back to home. I now carry a spare.
My car died on interstate Thanksgiving. I got towed to super charger. Dont ask why. :(
I dont know who u have car insurance with? But it's worth the extra dollars not to argue about it. Tes has been in over 25 states, it's worth the piece of mind.

Reactions: Dypkny845
Just had same experience! 1,600 miles. Model S performance. Car says “low coolant”. Leaks all over front of car lower front bumper and all over garage floor. Tesla rep said, “drive it to dealer”. Crazy! Great strategy to potentially damage battery on 50 mile trip to the service center. I said “no way”. They proceeded to tell me that towing would be out of pocket and I could wrestle (my words) with Tesla service over reimbursement. Really?!?!? $120,000 on the car and they are nickel and diming me?!? Bad boogie!!!
This just in. Tesla service is saying that there was a foreign object that punctured the radiator and that it’s not covered under warranty!! $750 dollars to fix... I asked for pix of the puncture and they won’t provide saying I need to see in person. Tesla sucks!

This just in. Tesla service is saying that there was a foreign object that punctured the radiator and that it’s not covered under warranty!! $750 dollars to fix... I asked for pix of the puncture and they won’t provide saying I need to see in person. Tesla sucks!

While that isn't really common it does happen occasionally. I have seen where Tesla has provided pictures to people in the past. You can always tell them that you want the old radiator back since it is yours.

I don't remember it costing that much though. But maybe it is more for you because it includes the towing cost. (While I think the person I saw in the past drove it to the service center like Tesla asked them to.)

While that isn't really common it does happen occasionally. I have seen where Tesla has provided pictures to people in the past. You can always tell them that you want the old radiator back since it is yours.

I don't remember it costing that much though. But maybe it is more for you because it includes the towing cost. (While I think the person I saw in the past drove it to the service center like Tesla asked them to.)
Nope. That’s the cost of the radiator and labor.... Towing was $250 on top of it.. They did send pictures. There is a couple of dings but no way a rock gets that far in there and does that kind of damage.