Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S no battery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wanted some input if it's worth getting a model S with no battery?

Are there compatibility issues between a used salvage battery and any particular years of the model S?

Aside from the physical work involved what special programming or tools are needed to accomplish a successful installation?

What is a reasonable price to pay based on year and milage for a batteryless.

Based on what I've researched there is a point in the vehicles life we're the battery is worth more than the car!

Reactions: IdaX
Personally, if the car is worth more than the battery, I would get the bad battery replaced and sell it at a normal price for the year and model. If you are going to buy a used Tesla with a bad battery see what it is worth in working condition, and subtract out the cost of the new battery installed. With a new battery ($17000-$20000) the battery will have a 4 year 50,000 mile warranty. That is what it is worth.

Is it worth it to you? If so, buy it.

Depending on condition of course but i'd say nosecone $5k or less, facelift/ap2+(legacy) maybe up to $10k
I've only heard of some RWD vs AWD compatibility issues but it could've been lack of software skills as well
Most of the time u can put anything u like with exception of 100kwh into rwd car...

Hard to say anything conclusive without more details...

Depending on condition of course but i'd say nosecone $5k or less, facelift/ap2+(legacy) maybe up to $10k
I've only heard of some RWD vs AWD compatibility issues but it could've been lack of software skills as well
Most of the time u can put anything u like with exception of 100kwh into rwd car...

I have always thought of this type of question as one of those "if you have to ask the question, its probably not the right thing for you to be doing" type things.

Meaning, plenty of people buy cars like this and fix them up, but a person asking questions about the process is probably not the right candidate to be doing it. I only tagged you because I think you have some experience with this type of stuff (if I have that wrong, I apologize).

Is this something you think your typical "handy person" should be attempting (or in other words someone who is asking whether they should or not)?

I have always thought of this type of question as one of those "if you have to ask the question, its probably not the right thing for you to be doing" type things.

Meaning, plenty of people buy cars like this and fix them up, but a person asking questions about the process is probably not the right candidate to be doing it. I only tagged you because I think you have some experience with this type of stuff (if I have that wrong, I apologize).

Is this something you think your typical "handy person" should be attempting (or in other words someone who is asking whether they should or not)?
Yes i do have plenty of car repair experience and 2 salvage teslas fixed plus countless hours of reading n researching
But i don't like to judge anyone and steer the thread off topic
I answer what is asked
OP can do whatever they like with whatever skills they got, its not my concern or anyone's for that matter

All great info guys. I got more details on it. It's a 2013 MCU1 and free supercharging..or so they say!

So without the HV battery installed can the cars interface work to check if everything is accurate as described or is it just dead. I'm not sure the extents of operability on just the 12v battery.

So what kind of software is needed to do any kind of programming on the battery or car for compatibility. I my internal combustion cars I use PCM hammer and Tuner pro to edit the configurations of the PCM.

Official Toolbox is available to purchase n should do everything needed.
There's few other 3rd party software floating around..
Depending on what to what ur swapping u can get away with just service mode n re-deploy
For others u need to edit Gateway
On MCU1 u can do that DIY if ur smart enough with Linux... or pay someone to do.

Reactions: Rafael C