Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S owner waiting for invite

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Mayhem

Professional F5 Presser
Apr 27, 2018
USA
Reserved online early 4/1/16 about 4-5AM PST. Delivery estimate May-Jul. Bought a Model S end of March. Thought I'd get bumped up but no. Not really a concern because, duh, got an awesome Model S and would only have bumped me up about 8 weeks. Was curious, though... did Tesla at some point stop bumping Model S owners to front of line?

BTW: the 3 reservation and the S ownership are both linked to the same Tesla account.

First day line holder reservation.

Ordered and received Model S on March 23rd.

Received invited 4/1/18

Model 3 delivery set for May 9th. Just got the personal call. 5 week wait.

there still bumping as far as I know. But I think you would have gotten invite anyway. We did have to call to get bumped. It was not automatic.

Update: 5/19: Despite owning Model S for over 6 weeks, and having 'early' Model 3 reservation (~10hr after reveal) no invite to configure.

General support inquiry: ignored.
Escalate for executive review: ignored.

Tesla is like the girlfriend that treats you like crap but you are still head over heels anyway.

• Funny
Reactions: doofenshmirtz
Oh, then it changes things. I read that recently new owners are not getting priority.

People of the internet (not all but many) don't like owners jumping in line, so many will post a "NO" which is not true. When people post and ask "as an owner can I transfer my spot in line to someone else" they say no because technically this is true... an OWNER may buy a new Model 3 on his or her own account, they can not transfer a reservation. But they may also order a car for a close family member on their account as well and it's very easy and not complicated to do it in the other persons name (for a wife, or child for example). But you would have to be close to the person because it requires billing info, personal info, credit card etc. Oh and $3,500... so yeah.. there's that.

As an OWNER you get priority, it is on the FAQ's on Tesla's own website. Model 3 Reservations FAQ it is also in the EMAIL you get after you "reserve" (which is refundable btw). It legit says in the email you get priority as a thank you for being a model S/X owner. Tesla doesn't give specific dates on anything, so if their is a factory shut down for a few days, or a switch to Canada for example, it can slow US invites and config's down.

For my close family member it took about a month from March to get the invite to configure in April. Now waiting on VIN. I know some people got an invite to configure after a WEEK or TWO. I believe this took a month because of a factory shut down that happened and then invites went to Canadians. So that pushed it back further then normal but I read a lot on the forums and by just reading other owners posting I had figured it would take 1 week to 4 weeks and it was a good guess. So my guess still stands, 1 week to 1 month to get an invite as a current owner. Things change every day with Tesla, they are not afraid to change how they do things but the whole owner priority thing has not changed since the beginning. If you buy a model 3 it doesn't count, only X and S.

Where people live also does sometimes seem to effect it. thats another small meta fact you pick up when reading forum posts. Virginia has been getting 3's at a slow trickle, which I know just from reading.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mayhem
Update: 5/19: Despite owning Model S for over 6 weeks, and having 'early' Model 3 reservation (~10hr after reveal) no invite to configure.

Tesla is like the girlfriend that treats you like crap but you are still head over heels anyway.

Where do you live? 6 weeks is not very long for you to have owned the Tesla, but I think its worth calling.

My guess is this is due to the fact Tesla has not given out ANY invites in several weeks. You may very well now be at the top of the list of next to be invited, but until they send out the next batch of invites, you still just sit at the top of the list.

My guess is this is due to the fact Tesla has not given out ANY invites in several weeks. You may very well now be at the top of the list of next to be invited, but until they send out the next batch of invites, you still just sit at the top of the list.
That isn't universally true. I mentioned above I got mine after about a week and I bought the last day of March so the same or later date than OP. And I initially reserved at about +24h from launch I believe.

Reactions: Mayhem