Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S P100D beats 11 supercars in Motor Trend "World's Greatest Drag Race"

Did you expect P100D beating all these supercars in 1/4 mile?

• No. I didn't know P100D is this quick. Total surprise!

Votes: 5 3.0%
  • I don't care. I just want to drive electric.

Votes: 8 4.9%
  • Yes. I know P100D is great in 1/4 mile. But 1/2 mile and track performance is another story.

Votes: 79 48.2%
  • Yes. Always knew P100D is super quick. No doubt about electric powertrain.

Votes: 71 43.3%
  • None of the above.

Votes: 1 0.6%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I care about the driver's experience; I buy cars that reward skillful operation. Hopefully the engineers won't solve every challenging aspect of sports car performance too soon, because I'll always get more satisfaction from performing a difficult task well. Or at least trying to do so...
Prior to driving EVs all my cars were manual transmission because they were more fun to drive. Driving an EV with instant torque and regen is a different kind of fun but it sure doesn't take any skill, as you say.

However, the trend seems to be auto pilot and, eventually, FSD. Which seems to be the complete opposite of "fun," albeit safer for all of us. I guess I'm glad I live in a place where AP and FSD aren't going to be practical for many years to come.

We need computers driving to make sure they all start at exactly the same time. Next year bring the Model3 LRDL
I think the Tesla was actually not the first off the line. The Porsche was maybe? I can't remember right now. But the Tesla didn't pull ahead until a split sec after the start... one of the other cars got the jump.

EDIT: Just replayed the video, it's the orange Porsche right next to the Tesla that gets the best start. It surges a few feet right at the start, then the Tesla immediately pulls ahead. You can see it at about 5:07 / 5:08, if you play 5:07-5:09 a few times you'll see the shot where the Porsche clearly gets the start.

Last edited:
Listen: I love my MX's acceleration. But anybody, anybody, can launch this thing on the street. It's not an achievement.
I see this video and the test / race itself more about the cars than the drivers. It's an achievement of the very technology that makes it so easy to launch. That's what it's all about (this Motor Trend video/test/race anyway). The only driver achievement here is reaction time, and steering straight. Besides the Tesla can't be the only car in that lineup with some sort of "launch control" system is it?
And, as I pointed out above, the Porsche driver won the reaction time contest. :D

My OH has a 700bhp GTR & maintains that a GTR will be quicker ;) I think it very much depends on the reaction times of the drivers when you're talking split second time differences. Videos I've seen (maybe a standard P100D with "only" ludicrous) do show the GTR *just* winning out, but it's darn close! Also, the GTR launch control can actually be slower than a human doing the launch, OH turned it off on a recent runway day.

It beats them all at luggage space too.

But I doubt a single owner of a Ferrari, Lamborghini or any of those cars actually gives a damn.

At school there was a kid who could keep a soccer ball in the air for ages, it was a cool trick, but he never got picked for the team.

Having that instant torque is fun, but the relentless ‘a Tesla must be the best because it’s blown away. ..’ stories are frankly just boring.

But it is the future...ICE is dead ;-)

But it is the future...ICE is dead ;-)

Like CD killed off vinyl? Only we’re 35 years on and people, especially at the high end still prefer vinyl and CD is pretty much dead. There’s a quality, maybe it’s character, that runs deeper than a 0-60 time.

I’m also waiting for the videos that have ‘real world’ performance tests. Most cars will beat a Tesla with putting fog lights on, opening a sun roof or turning on rear seat heating.

• Love
Reactions: FlatSix911
Like CD killed off vinyl? Only we’re 35 years on and people, especially at the high end still prefer vinyl and CD is pretty much dead. There’s a quality, maybe it’s character, that runs deeper than a 0-60 time.

I’m also waiting for the videos that have ‘real world’ performance tests. Most cars will beat a Tesla with putting fog lights on, opening a sun roof or turning on rear seat heating.

ICEs have pretty much reached their engineering limit...more powerful electric motors (e.g. even higher RPM & amperage ranges) still have a ways to go. Audi, BMW, MB, Porche and many of the other high volume luxury car makers already know this and have strategic plans to move their line-ups to all hybrids and/or EVs within the next 5-7 years. Several European countries have already stated that they will be banning the sale of ICE cars by 2025 and China (th elargest car market in the world) will follow suit. We will be looking back on these "modern" ICE engines the same way we nostalgically look back on the other inferior technologies like the steam engine, wankel engine or the flat head V8.

ICEs have pretty much reached their engineering limit...more powerful electric motors (e.g. even higher RPM & amperage ranges) still have a ways to go. Audi, BMW, MB, Porche and many of the other high volume luxury car makers already know this and have strategic plans to move their line-ups to all hybrids and/or EVs within the next 5-7 years. Several European countries have already stated that they will be banning the sale of ICE cars by 2025 and China (th elargest car market in the world) will follow suit. We will be looking back on these "modern" ICE engines the same way we nostalgically look back on the other inferior technologies like the steam engine, wankel engine or the flat head V8.

Nothing like missing the point of the post you quote.

The people that own performance cars aren't looking for what a Tesla offers in the reason they buy a performance car. Its character, emotion, and excitement, the skill of extracting performance out of them. A Tesla is a soulless catapult and its great at that. But to suggest its superior to other cars is only in the context that you value. I would place significant amounts of money that a Ferrari bought today would still be loved and cherished by its owner well after a Tesla bought today will be.

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911 and rw99
I think this was a good race, not sure what the requirements were for the grouping but I think there were fair competitors in there. Of course there are higher-end super cars and of course hypercars, but doesnt really make sense to have the Tesla sedan in that league IMO, but then again it really shouldnt be compared to 2 door sports cars at all but I digress, still very nice.

wait till you see how well the 720S launches vs the P100D... :)

Brooks let me help you out here and save you some self promotion ;)...nice race and good to see your new fav car is also your fastest! Wonder how the 720S would do against your incoming Ford GT, also have you found anyone in FL with the Concept One? There are only a handful but I would assume Florida has at least 1 it def beat the 918 so would like to see how the 720S fairs.

sorry if I'm late to the game, but any official tests between Tesla and BMW i8?

• Funny
Nothing like missing the point of the post you quote.

The people that own performance cars aren't looking for what a Tesla offers in the reason they buy a performance car. Its character, emotion, and excitement, the skill of extracting performance out of them. A Tesla is a soulless catapult and its great at that. But to suggest its superior to other cars is only in the context that you value. I would place significant amounts of money that a Ferrari bought today would still be loved and cherished by its owner well after a Tesla bought today will be.

Nothing a revamp of the original go-cart-like Tesla Roadster couldn't address. The Porsche 918 Spyder has already proven that concept half way with hybrid tech. Next step, full EV Porsches, BMW M & MB AMG cars...stay tuned Mr. Nostalgia ;-)

• Funny
Nothing a revamp of the original go-cart-like Tesla Roadster couldn't address. The Porsche 918 Spyder has already proven that concept half way with hybrid tech. Next step, full EV Porsches, BMW M & MB AMG cars...stay tuned Mr. Nostalgia ;-)

Somebody else that’s so blinkered they can’t see what’s being said.

You’re comparing a digital photograph to a original painting and saying the photograph is more realistic.

That’s not to say tomorrow’s art using digital techniques won’t be artforms in themselves. A Tesla Roadster for instance will be in that bucket. A Model S will never be.

When I ordered my Tesla, I didn't realized I would have to start bashing ICE cars on a forum.

Why can't we just respect the cars that were there. The 911 Turbo S is an incredible achievement. A fantastic car. The GT-R... Did you ever took a fast corner with a GT-R? It's a marvel. Brilliant car.

The Tesla P100D of course, also is a beast. The fact that we like Tesla, doesn't mean other cars are crap. I've even seen people here questioning the quality of a new S500. That just can't be serious.

I have many people in my neighborhood driving Tesla's, but they respect ICE cars and have fun with them. You can put me in a 911 or M5 everyday and I would have a blast. This does not take away anything from the brilliance of a Tesla.

Funfact: When I've ordered my Tesla S75D 3 weeks ago, I was standing with 3 sales reps on the friday afternoon. One of them said: Your car is just as fast as a new Panamera S. To which I replied: Yes, but we all would choose the Porsche when we had the change. And they all could do nothing but agree :)

TLDR: I'm a car enthusiastic and love good cars. The fact that I've ordered and love my Tesla, does not mean I can't love other ICE cars.

thanks! the new GT just trapped 170 MPH in the 1/2 mile which is strong, but not quite where the 720S is with regards to all out speed, I think the 720S will be faster, but the GT would win around a track, the new GT is pretty much a street legal race car. I rode in a new GT for few laps around UMC with a pro driver and it was amazing, even at that altitude.

I hear there is a Rimac in Florida, at one point we were going to setup a race between it and the P100D, but then it ran the 918 and that was that. Maybe he would give the 720s a try, would be fun.

I

Brooks let me help you out here and save you some self promotion ;)...nice race and good to see your new fav car is also your fastest! Wonder how the 720S would do against your incoming Ford GT, also have you found anyone in FL with the Concept One? There are only a handful but I would assume Florida has at least 1 it def beat the 918 so would like to see how the 720S fairs.

Reactions: BLKTSLA

Yes, vinyl audio is, for all intents and purposes, dead; and so is CD for that matter. Vinyl is indeed "making a comeback" but it will never reach more than niche status among audiophiles. The vast, vast, VAST majority of music is consumed digitally, and on crappy audio systems too.

Likewise, ICE cars will always be with us, but they will be a niche market - for enthusiasts and collectors only. The analogy to vinyl/analog vs. digital audio is actually a pretty good one. Like digital audio vs. vinyl/analog, EVs are just plain better cars than ICEVs in most of the ways that count to the majority of users.
Are there certain, almost intangible aspects of vinyl that digital audio can never really replicate? Yes. Does digital still sound better to the vast majority of users? Yes. It's also cheaper, more portable, etc.
Don't get me wrong, I'm an audiophile, but I'm also a realist.
EVs are the future. >$11bn investment in EV by Daimler, Shell deploying their first chargers at gas stations, the EV wave is coming, and it's not going away.
I will always get a kick out of revving and driving a classic ICE car. I love me some 1960's Stingrays and Cobras. But there's no way I would buy a 2017 Mercedes Benz E or S class ICEV right now with Tesla at the same price point. Just.no.f'ing.way.

Yes, vinyl audio is, for all intents and purposes, dead; and so is CD for that matter. Vinyl is indeed "making a comeback" but it will never reach more than niche status among audiophiles. The vast, vast, VAST majority of music is consumed digitally, and on crappy audio systems too.

Likewise, ICE cars will always be with us, but they will be a niche market - for enthusiasts and collectors only. The analogy to vinyl/analog vs. digital audio is actually a pretty good one. Like digital audio vs. vinyl/analog, EVs are just plain better cars than ICEVs in most of the ways that count to the majority of users.
Are there certain, almost intangible aspects of vinyl that digital audio can never really replicate? Yes. Does digital still sound better to the vast majority of users? Yes. It's also cheaper, more portable, etc.
Don't get me wrong, I'm an audiophile, but I'm also a realist.
EVs are the future. >$11bn investment in EV by Daimler, Shell deploying their first chargers at gas stations, the EV wave is coming, and it's not going away.
I will always get a kick out of revving and driving a classic ICE car. I love me some 1960's Stingrays and Cobras. But there's no way I would buy a 2017 Mercedes Benz E or S class ICEV right now with Tesla at the same price point. Just.no.f'ing.way.

Sensible post. Pitching a Tesla against an exotic is like pitching a Linn Sondek, Michell Gyrodec or whatever your flavour is to Spotify.. the qualities you look for are totally different. It’s almost disrespectful to dismiss a turntable because it doesn’t have a zillion tracks a click away. Sure a turntable owner will look with envy at Spotify for its convenience like a Lamborghini owner might look at a Tesla for its instant torque, but ultimately they’ve chosen what they have for different qualities. That’s why threads that start like this one are pretty pathetic.

I have known since my first ride after delivery in January. I've been drag racing my car since the track opened in April.
I am very impressed.

I do loose a great deal to bonified race cars, but the respect my car and I get is exactly why I go back.

So, really it's a win win win... especially for those young 'racers to be' who say,

"Wow man, that EV thing flys!"
And then dream about building one...

Attachments

• 0905172010.jpg
    0905172010.jpg
    390 KB · Views: 54