Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Panoramic Sunroof: Gone

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

tinm

2020 Model S LR+ Owner
May 3, 2015
New Mexico, USA
I'd heard rumors that if you called Tesla Inside Sales it was still possible to order a Model S with a pano sunroof, a feature that's been gone from the design studio on the website for quite a while.

Well out of curiosity I called Tesla and they told me nope, sunroof is gone, and the ability to secretly order it over the phone is no longer available.

That's a huge bummer. I love my 2013 Model S sunroof. I can't imagine buying a new Tesla without one. And right now, there is no new Tesla that offers one. I guess it will be a while before I buy a new Tesla.

• Informative
Reactions: jlv1
I asked at a Tesla store yesterday, just for giggles. And they confirmed the same.

Even though I don't know the take rate and would not have ordered it myself (I'm too cheap and don't use it), I have a hard time imagining Tesla to permanently remove this feature for a car in that class. It may well re-appear in much improved form when the refreshed Model S enters the market.

At the same time, if you look at the pictures at lucidmotors.com, it seems there is no option to open the glass roof, either. Maybe it is a feature that customers order less and less, and the warranty risks don't make it worth offering for these manufacturers.

I have the pano and am afraid to use it too much because of the expense to repair when it goes "ping" and stops moving. What I enjoy is the glass / light up there... which is what the glass roof provides. I would have taken glass roof over pano if it was an option when I ordered.