Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S - pass door opened by itself while driving

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks! I wish it happened 2 weeks ago when I was ordering some other digikey parts. Will order a few (probably 8 or 10 since already paying for shipping), but will also try the adjustment screw as @Gtech suggested. Might not get a chance to get to it till this weekend.

It sounds like this has been a known issue for a bit (how a door out of reach of the driver opening while driving is not a safety recall issue I have no idea). I wish Elon would have mitigated this failure mode at least via a software setting, perhaps "Disallow specific doors to open when driving", but I bet he thinks it's all good now if the new generation cars don't have this issue, and who cares about old cars, especially out of warranty. I bet no FMEA was ever done on this (other automotive guys do that).

[UPDATE EDIT] Ordered 10 of those, paid more for shipping than the 10 switches to get them here by the weekend, as I don't think I can enable child lock mode on the front passenger door and would rather not deal with an accident, especially that I pull in real close to some shelves in the garage, if the door was to open while backing in, it could cause some damage. What worries me though is that other doors might fail at any time, but I don't know whether I'll have the time to replace all 8 switches in the car. :( And then there is my wife's Model S to worry about, that one is still under warranty but still not a happy thought what would happen if the door opened while turning and hit another car or a cyclist or a pedestrian. Oh, that tri-motor Audi eTron GT can't get here soon enough.

good luck. Pay attention of the condition of the wiring that goes to the switches. Mine was corroded in some places and the wire just broke. Maybe a good idea to replace some runs with the new wire as well!
Also, when you will be resoldering the switches, you will have to remove the rubber cap on the original switch at the bottom, and it’s not reusable, and something needs to be there as the wire flexes all the time when door handles present, so it will eventually brake off the wires at the soldering points. I used a bunch of liquid tape there, but don’t know if it’s the best option. Anyone has better ideas? Maybe some silicone ?

Update, the handle popped out permanently - more so that during normal extension and the light stays on, even when car locked. Is that a sign the paddle gear died now?
upload_2021-1-7_17-41-29.png

Service manager confirmed- it’s the micro switch. Hope they resolve permanently. I had the same thought - glad my kids weren’t in the car.
I'm having the same issue, but getting ridiculous pushback from the Service Center manager who claims that there are no issues with the switches or the handles. Which service center did you use and who was the manager? Might help if I connect them...

Service manager confirmed- it’s the micro switch. Hope they resolve permanently. I had the same thought - glad my kids weren’t in the car.
I'm having the same issue but getting ridiculous pushback from the Service Center manager who claims there is nothing wrong with the microswitches or handles. Which service center did you use and who was the manager there? Might help if I connect them...

I'm having the same issue, but getting ridiculous pushback from the Service Center manager who claims that there are no issues with the switches or the handles. Which service center did you use and who was the manager? Might help if I connect them...
See if you can repro the issue by presenting and hiding the handles over and over (lock/unlock the car). If the door opens after unlocking, you have a clear repro. Otherwise you will have to wait for the handle to die (may stop presenting, be permanently presented. or keeps on going in and out) in order for Tesla to replace it under warranty. Alternatively, you can fix it yourself if you are comfortable working on cars and electronics, or pay someone to do it.

Update, the handle popped out permanently - more so that during normal extension and the light stays on, even when car locked. Is that a sign the paddle gear died now?
View attachment 625473
Update to my prior post (I forgot to update when I fixed it). After the handle died completely, I took the mechanism out of the door, and yes, the cable broke off from one of the microswitches. Lucky the gear didn't break. I replaced all the microswitches (they actual switched were fine, but since I already bought some and had the handle on the bench) as well as put in some much more flexible cables. It's been working fine for almost a year now.