Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Plaid Key Card?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think the keycard unlocks the car, but to drive, your phone has to be near the car too. Or I think anyways?

Can someone who knows about this shine some light? Do I need to carry the keyfob around or will the keycard in my wallet and my phone be enough to drive and such?

I think the keycard unlocks the car, but to drive, your phone has to be near the car too. Or I think anyways?

Can someone who knows about this shine some light? Do I need to carry the keyfob around or will the keycard in my wallet and my phone be enough to drive and such?
Keycard works to both unlock and drive the car. Consider all three (keycard, keyfob, and phone key) as three versions of the same thing. Can unlock and drive with each one, independent of the others. With the phone, obviously, you can do things you can't with the card/fob, like remotely unlock/remotely start.

However, you cannot drive with keycard in wallet. It will have to be placed on the wireless charge area to start the car. You can absolutely drive with just a key card (no fob, no phone).

I don't carry/use the keyfob at all. I do keep my keycard in my wallet as backup in case I ever lose my phone.