Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

One key card stopped working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One of my two key cards seems to have stopped working.

Typically it’s the wife’s key card which she keeps in one of those wallets that also double as an iPhone case.

Can I get a replacement at the Tesla service centre? Anyone had this before? Would the cards continual proximity to her phone be an issue?

One of my two key cards seems to have stopped working.

Typically it’s the wife’s key card which she keeps in one of those wallets that also double as an iPhone case.

Can I get a replacement at the Tesla service centre? Anyone had this before? Would the cards continual proximity to her phone be an issue?
Tesla shop or aliexpress and then configure just like a ring or other device.

Reactions: Katic1972
^^ hate to ask but how do you configure the new cards?

Adding Keys from the Touchscreen​

If you have a key card or key fob that is already paired with your vehicle, you can pair a new key using the touchscreen.
  1. On the touchscreen, touch Controls > Locks > Keys > Add Key.
  2. Scan your new key card or key fob on the card reader located behind the cup holders on the top of the center console. After the new key card or key fob is recognized, remove it from the card reader.
  3. Scan a key card or key fob that has already been paired to the vehicle to confirm new key pairing.
  4. When complete, the key list includes the new key. Touch the associated pencil icon to customize the name of the key.

Reactions: Katic1972
They might replace under warranty if the card shows no sign of physical damage. Otherwise you can purchase a pack of 2 at the online store, and I assume at an SC too.

I wouldn’t have thought the phone would damage it.

Reactions: JMGNC and Katic1972
Tesla looked at the card and said it was scuffed. It really is only cosmetic and the card has rarely been removed from my wife’s phone wallet.

So they have deemed that it is not covered under warranty. Although it’s not expensive I am not happy about it.

The two new cards arrived a couple of days later I have to reprogram the new ones later today.

Doubt the scuffing is the cause. I’ll post a pic later.

I was going to fight it further, I had several ping pong emails via the service chat but it ended up falling on deaf ears.

I just couldn’t be bothered making an issue of it, my car is still in warranty too. So what they’ve done is **** an owner off for £30, an owner that also comes onto a worldwide forum and passes on his dissatisfaction to others.

So thanks Ellen-Louise from Tesla virtual service hope you get your bonus for reducing service calls. Shame they don’t marry that team up with Tesla sales who are currently looking desperately for new car sales.

Reactions: thax1