Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021+ Model S and Model S Plaid Refresh Issues Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Really miss the M3+, and would give the Plaid back if I wouldn't take a bath doing so.
Eek. I say again... eek.

*finger hovering over Cancel Order button*

Gonna go give my Model 3 a bath and a hug.

I stopped reading this thread since October 10th, as it was starting to make me regret my decision to order a Plaid. I decided that I'd go ahead and read up, as I really want to know what I'm getting into.

But yeah... as of now, I'm going to cancel. I'll mull it over until tomorrow morning and talk with the wife about it, too, but I doubt even a 24 hour cooling off period is going to change my mind at this point.

After reading this (and the rest of the thread, really) I'm getting cold feet. Very cold. Damn near frost bite.

Seriously thinking about canceling my Plaid order and just enjoying my (so far flawless) Model 3 Performance until CyberTruck arrives.

Just too many small issues, including ones that pop up after you've had the car for a bit. It's making me too nervous to shell out that kinda cash.

Thinking seriously about watching from the sidelines for another year or so...
I am totally in the same boat as you.

Reactions: Phlier
After reading this (and the rest of the thread, really) I'm getting cold feet. Very cold. Damn near frost bite.

Seriously thinking about canceling my Plaid order and just enjoying my (so far flawless) Model 3 Performance until CyberTruck arrives.

Just too many small issues, including ones that pop up after you've had the car for a bit. It's making me too nervous to shell out that kinda cash.

@Phlier By the time your VIN arrives, it should be pretty solid, compared to the early VINs here. The number of issues reported in this thread nearly ceased about a month ago, indicating much better quality coming from the factory lately.

Eek. I say again... eek.

*finger hovering over Cancel Order button*

Gonna go give my Model 3 a bath and a hug.

I stopped reading this thread since October 10th, as it was starting to make me regret my decision to order a Plaid. I decided that I'd go ahead and read up, as I really want to know what I'm getting into.

But yeah... as of now, I'm going to cancel. I'll mull it over until tomorrow morning and talk with the wife about it, too, but I doubt even a 24 hour cooling off period is going to change my mind at this point.
I have considered that also but then talk myself down with the knowledge that as an earlier order I’m already getting a “discount” vs current orders, and that the vast majority of outstanding issues is software related, which is in development. I’m confident the h/w and s/w issues will be addressed, and make the care very likely even better than promised … in two weeks.

• Informative
Reactions: jebinc and Phlier
I have considered that also but then talk myself down with the knowledge that as an earlier order I’m already getting a “discount” vs current orders, and that the vast majority of outstanding issues is software related, which is in development. I’m confident the h/w and s/w issues will be addressed, and make the care very likely even better than promised … in two weeks.
The voice of reason?

@Phlier Oh, why cancel now, when you can cancel right before delivery, if you want? Either way, you’re not getting the $250 back, if you cancel. You could even go further by going all the way through the inspection process, including a drive at 45mph, then you can decline delivery and cancel. Why toss the option to purchase now, when there is no benefit to doing so?!

@Phlier oh, why cancel now, when you can cancel right before delivery, if you want. Either way, you’re not getting the $250 back, if you cancel. You could even go further by going all the way through the inspection process, including a drive at 45mph, then you can decline delivery and cancel. Why toss the option to purchase now, when there is no benefit to doing so?!
That’s my plan exactly.
I haven’t even tried to sell my current Tesla.

@Phlier Oh, why cancel now, when you can cancel right before delivery, if you want? Either way, you’re not getting the $250 back, if you cancel. You could even go further by going all the way through the inspection process, including a drive at 45mph, then you can decline delivery and cancel. Why toss the option to purchase now, when there is no benefit to doing so?!
I had thought about this, too, but I'm seeing so many issues that don't rear their ugly head(s) until after you've had the car for a while. Those are the ones that really concern me the most.

Well, those and the ones that Tesla admits that there's a problem but no fix for yet.

I dunno... I'll rattle it around in the head for a while before making a decision.

Think I'll brew up a big carafe of home roasted coffee and sit down for an internet research session.

I had thought about this, too, but I'm seeing so many issues that don't rear their ugly head(s) until after you've had the car for a while. Those are the ones that really concern me the most.

Well, those and the ones that Tesla admits that there's a problem but no fix for yet.

I dunno... I'll rattle it around in the head for a while before making a decision.

Think I'll brew up a big carafe of home roasted coffee and sit down for an internet research session.
Have you driven one yet?

Reactions: Bull
Have you driven one yet?
No, unfortunately.

I drove down to the Las Vegas store just over a week ago, and they had two Plaids on the showroom floor. I asked for a test drive, and was told, "No, but you can sit in one if you'd like." :(

I've tried calling them a few times since then to ask if they were scheduling Plaid (or even LR) test drives yet, but have been unable to get anyone on the phone.

Reactions: impastu

I am totally in the same boat as you.

Same, same, same.

Here are my thoughts: I'm sort of scared of the early adopter situation, but I think it seems quality has improved over the past couple of months, especially after the EOQ rush. I have a $10k discount from the early order, so assuming prices stay where they are for at least 12 months (no reason not to given the EDD on the website of June), then that does help with resale if I hate it.

On the other side: there's really no other car I want. Maybe the Rivian but I'm a year away. I've been thinking about this car almost non-stop for the past 9 months and imagining myself driving it and all of that. There's just nothing else out there I'd be happy with.

I believe I can buy it, if I truly hate it, I'll sell it in 6 months (or less) and probably get most of my money back given the shortages and all of that. However, unless it is a total dud, I can't imagine I won't like it enough to ignore some shortcomings.

@Phlier Sounds like a plan, since you have plenty of time to cancel, if you so choose.

Reactions: impastu and Phlier
Just find a local TMC member in your areas take you out for a ride!

@Phlier @Duke846
I'll just wait until you get tired of the Seattle winter, and finally road trip down to the desert. ;)

But seriously.... there are a ton of Teslas here in St. George, but unfortunately not many of them appear to be active on Tesla related forums, and I refuse to do the Facebonk thing. Suckerberg can just <redacted> my <redacted> until <redacted> <redacted> and <redacted> the horse he road in on. Yeah, I seriously hate "social media."

Just find a local TMC member in your areas take you out for a ride!

@Phlier @Duke846
@Phlier @Duke846

P.S. Just post here and in a few of the more heavily frequented refreshed model S forums/threads; that you’re looking for a local volunteer. I had several offer me rides when I was thinking about canceling my Plaid order, including the infamous @WilliamG

@Phlier @Duke846

P.S. Just post here and I a few of the more heavily frequented refreshed model S forums/threads that you’re looking for a local volunteer. I had several offer me rides when I was thinking about canceling my Plaid order, including the infamous @WilliamG
While going for a ride along would be very nice, what I really want to do is drive the thing. And there's no way I'd ever feel good about driving anyone elses car, even if they were totally fine with it.

If someone at the Vegas store would just answer the darn phone, or return a voice mail. :(

While going for a ride along would be very nice, what I really want to do is drive the thing. And there's no way I'd ever feel good about driving anyone elses car, even if they were totally fine with it.

If someone at the Vegas store would just answer the darn phone, or return a voice mail. :(
@Phlier Well, maybe as you get closer to your end of year vin assignment, Tesla will have test drive cars.

@Phlier Well, maybe as you get closer to your end of year vin assignment, Tesla will have test drive cars.
I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Oh, an interesting little tid bit I learned on my latest Vegas store visit.

I asked the SA if he had a business card. He said that Tesla did away with business cards for Sales Associates. That sounds kinda fishy to me, but honestly I wouldn't be that surprised if they had. They are really pushing the "no human interaction" end of the business, it would seem.

Obviously, no business cards just makes it that much harder to try and get in touch with a real human being.

Maybe Dojo will be able to handle test drive scheduling?