Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Sun roof

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not so much the sunroof itself, but they changed how the access panels were attached.
Early ones were actually glued on. Not the smartest day for some engineer. That caused major issues when trying to service the sunroof tracks, making service centers rip them off and have to replace the panels.
There is a later version where they changed the panels so they would snap in rather being glued. This helped immensely when you just want to clean and lube the tracks.
You can look up when exactly that update occurred.
Was short lived though, because they just quit making the sunroof as an option. It had too many issues. From leaks to squeaks, it's not well engineered.

I have a first version MS, and it takes some patience to do the servicing. I do it each spring. Clean and lube the track, dredge the drain holes, clean and armorall the seals.
It's a labor of love. It's nice to use/have something that less and less Teslas on the road have.

• Love
Reactions: MSJack
Upvote 1
Not so much the sunroof itself, but they changed how the access panels were attached.
Early ones were actually glued on. Not the smartest day for some engineer. That caused major issues when trying to service the sunroof tracks, making service centers rip them off and have to replace the panels.
There is a later version where they changed the panels so they would snap in rather being glued. This helped immensely when you just want to clean and lube the tracks.
You can look up when exactly that update occurred.
Was short lived though, because they just quit making the sunroof as an option. It had too many issues. From leaks to squeaks, it's not well engineered.

I have a first version MS, and it takes some patience to do the servicing. I do it each spring. Clean and lube the track, dredge the drain holes, clean and armorall the seals.
It's a labor of love. It's nice to use/have something that less and less Teslas on the road have.

What equipment and lubrication do you require to do the job? Just got a Model S with a sunroof, so looking to take care of it.

Upvote 0
What equipment and lubrication do you require to do the job? Just got a Model S with a sunroof, so looking to take care of it.
Well, since I have the glued-on type of panels, I can't remove them to gain access to the whole track.
So based on some videos I've watched on YT (highly recommend prior to any DIY), I open the sunroof to about 30% I think, and that will allow access to the screws holding the glass panel on. I always slip a folded towel between the glass and the roof on both sides.
Once the glass panel is off, it's basically just you, a bunch of Q-tips (or small pry tool), and even more patience. The shape of the tracks where the sunroof panel moves has two recesses on each side, so you're looking at 4 total grooves you want to get clean. I either bend the tip of the Q-tips, or use a 90 degree tipped tool and wrap the tip with garage paper towels or a thin rag. Rewrapping a pry tool after each swipe is a real pain and time consuming. Q-tips are cheap, so just keep a trash can close and use a bunch of them.
Either way, it's tedious work. But necessary if you want a smooth, quiet sunroof.

Here's the owners manual link:

As for the lubricant, it says to only use the Klubersynth RA 44-702 noise reduction grease (for plastics).
I tried to use graphite powder first, but either I didn't apply it right, or it just doesn't work. So I broke down and paid over $20 for a very small tube of Klubersynth. I haven't had the chance to use it yet. But I'm only going to put it in the trouble spots and let it spread mechanically.

Upvote 0