Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S with 3 kids

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My kids are 3 and 5. I also thought long and hard about the S vs X question. Ultimately got an S with rear facing seats.

This topic has been discussed here many times. Over the years I've scoured many threads and picked up nuggets of of stuff I'm not sure is information or fools-information.

The reinforcement thing is fact. There's a thread somewhere of someone removing their rear bumper to install a trailer hitch, and they posted pictures of what is apparently an additional boron beam that looks like a double bumper. I've always wondered if this is the only extra reinforcement. Till I saw that photo, I thought the reinforcements were way more elaborate (someone once described it as the equivalent of a nascar cage - which I now no longer believe, unless there's more that I'm not aware of).

I've read that the reinforcement was designed to withstand a 55mph speed differential of impact. No idea how to prove that. And not sure how it would perform if hit by a higher vehicle (i.e. SUV).

All that said, my kids love the seats. I was told by a service advisor that the secret to cooling the jump seats is to set the climate control to NOT recirculate the air. Apparently there are passive outlet vents that open when you have it set to take in fresh air. Personally my kids don't usually complain back there.

I use the seats on short drives in town (to and from school). I'll admit I'm a little weary of using them on long highway drives. but I'd get them again for sure just to be able to have the option. It's nice to have 2 extra seats to be able to take a friend if needed.

I have 3 kids of 5, 1.5 and 0.4 years and we all fit in the MS (together with my Wife) without the rear-facing seats. They are all in a seat and the only thing I purchased was a belt extender to easier access the belt closing (about 20cm). you'll find them on amazon for 8-10USD each at most.
If you want, I can MP you a pic of the 3 kids in the seats, so you get an idea...

Re MX, I was also evaluating it, but given the fact you can't remove the seats of the front row, you have actually less place e.g. for a bike. So I'd definitely go for a MS.

My 3 kids are younger (3.5, 2, 2) and our Diono Radians fit perfectly across with ample room to load/unload (better than SUV / Mini Vans we've had)

S with Pano roof can add cross bars and roof box. I have Whispbars and Yakima Skybox for trips needing more storage.

With 3 across there is a Middle Seat to fight for - this can be a pro or a con depending on how well they act like siblings.

X is incredible but if you end up with the popular 6 seat config for a less cramped feel then your cargo space is less than the S.

Even Elon has said he prefers driving his S over X but that comes to a personal preference. In my house my wife would rather be high up and in an X while I like the low to the ground sedan

Did you run into any other issues? I have triplets (6 y/o) and have the Diono Radians as well. Looking at the 2019 S.

Did you run into any other issues? I have triplets (6 y/o) and have the Diono Radians as well. Looking at the 2019 S.
Only issue was that there is only one middle seat and they all want to sit in the middle!

The biggest “issue” is that the top of the car seat creases into the headrest on the seat (same on my Model 3). I put a towel between the seat and car seat and after removing them from my S was able to eliminate signs of the crease with a hair dryer and damp cloth.

Feel free to pm if you have any questions or want to discuss