Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Air Bags Deployed and Dead 12 Volt Battery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Two questions.

Hypothetically situation - Model X with air bags deployed and dead 12 volt battery.

Assumptions: 12 volt battery has run down and the Model X unable to move under its own power since the High Voltage (HV) battery has been automatically disconnected when the air bags deployed. Also the Media Control Unit (MCU) works properly.

Two Questions - First question. Will jump starting the Model X's 12 volt battery allow for power braking, MCU operation, and power steering to function properly? Second Question: Will I be able to release the parking brake and change the height of the air suspension and place the vehicle in “Tow” Mode?

Respectfully,

Mike from CLE

...Will jump starting the Model X's 12 volt battery allow for power braking, MCU operation, and power steering to function properly?

I have no idea but here's my guess: As you mentioned, when an airbag incident is deployed, Main Battery is automatically offline but I think 12V is still active because the emergency manual instructs first responders to cut the 12V cable to disable the voltage. In that case, sure, if you restore the power of 12V, you should be able to run the accessories but not the power train. I think you can release the power brakes, get MCU running, but I am not sure about the "power" for steering.

...Will I be able to release the parking brake and change the height of the air suspension and place the vehicle in “Tow” Mode?

My guess for this is based on my guess above: Yes!