Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X and Continental Tires Warranty

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just went through a very confusing and frustrating tire warranty and here is what I learned:

1) The tires that originally came with your MX have no warranty at all.
2) If you buy replacement Continental tires from Tesla, there is no warranty from Tesla.
3) If you contact Continental tires directly, they will offer some sort of good will or warranty but only for a replacement tire(s) and not for original ones.

I had flat and purchased a replacement tire from Tesla. Price was pretty much the same as I would have gotten at a local shop. 2 months later, the new tire I purchased got another flat and I was ready to buy another new tire but the guy who came to give me a loaner wheel suggested I contact Continental and see if I qualified for the 12 months road hazard warranty that covers any damage as long as it is less than 2/32 worn tread and within 12 months of purchase.

Initially Continental rep told me that Tesla should replace at no charge. However, Tesla SC said no and even told me that I should buy replacement tires from a local tire shop since they give warranty. After contacting Continental again, they referred me to a local authorized dealer who agreed to work with Continental and gave me a new tire at 75% discount so basically $100 including installation and tax. All I had to do was give them the damaged tire and a copy of my receipt.

Moral of the story - buy your tires from an authorized local tire service and NOT Tesla. Also, I will continue to be a Continental customer since their customer support is top notch. I never waited more than 1 min to talk to a live person and they took care of me even though Tesla gave me the middle finger.

• Informative
Reactions: UncaNed
I don't know of any tire manufacturer that still offers road hazard or warranty on OE tires. Michelin used to honor tread wear waranty on OE tires, but they don't as of 2018.

Continental offers road hazard on their tires, but it goes away pretty quick. Retailers like Discount Tire and Tirerack offer longer duration coverage and you can buy extra protection.

I usually pass on the extra coverage, it rarely works out to your benefit for the cost.