Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Autopilot Upgrade to FSD?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everyone, my wife and I have been talking about getting her a used Model X while we wait for the Cybertruck and is got me thinking: I've researched and learned so much about my Model 3 over the years that I don't really know the autopilot situation with the X!

When we're looking for a 2016-2017 Model X, and they all just mention having Autopilot but nothing about if it's EAP or FSD, does that mean it's just base AP like on the SR+ M3 or is it EAP?

Also what is the upgrade price to FSD for Model X owners? Also $3k?

Overall what tips/tricks/things should I be looking for when getting a used Model X?

Thanks for your help!

EAP to FSD is much cheaper, could be 3-4K I’m not sure. AP to FSD is 7K at the moment if the car is AP 2.0 equipped, I think it has to be built after October 2016. If it’s an earlier model you are stuck with autopilot only, can not upgrade.

Only very late 2016 Model X’s came with AP 2.0 hardware (the ability to have EAP or FSD in the future.) You can pay attention to the fender signal light & center black pilar post between the front and rear doors for cameras, if you see the cameras it has AP 2.0 and the possibility of EAP and maybe even FSD if prepaid. To further investigate ask the seller (if it’s a car lot) to send you a picture of the autopilot menu and you can see what options it has. If it’s a private seller they can just login to their account and send you the options list on the car.

Sometimes on ev-CPO.com vin look up you can see the options.

Awesome thanks! As far as the AP menu goes, what should I be looking out for? I know AP M3's have basic AP settings but if they don't have EAP or FSD they won't have summon or NoA. Same idea with the X?

Thanks again and Merry Christmas!

Awesome thanks! As far as the AP menu goes, what should I be looking out for? I know AP M3's have basic AP settings but if they don't have EAP or FSD they won't have summon or NoA. Same idea with the X?

Thanks again and Merry Christmas!
I am pretty sure if under autopilot menu, you see "Lane Departure Avoidance" with the selections of off, warning, and assist, you have FSD. Just be aware that there were a few folks that paid for AP1, received AP2 hardware, and chose not to updgrade to EAP or FSD and received AP2 with AP1 functions. With that said, I have not heard what the real difference is with that scenario.

Hey everyone, my wife and I have been talking about getting her a used Model X while we wait for the Cybertruck and is got me thinking: I've researched and learned so much about my Model 3 over the years that I don't really know the autopilot situation with the X!

When we're looking for a 2016-2017 Model X, and they all just mention having Autopilot but nothing about if it's EAP or FSD, does that mean it's just base AP like on the SR+ M3 or is it EAP?

Also what is the upgrade price to FSD for Model X owners? Also $3k?

Overall what tips/tricks/things should I be looking for when getting a used Model X?

Thanks for your help!

Btw, since you have an M3, I'd recommend looking for an MX with MCU2, otherwise you'll start to notice differences pretty quickly relating to MCU functions. No streaming videos, no updated games, etc. If that doesn't matter, then you're all set. Good luck!