Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2016 Model X; possible to upgrade to FSD?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Assuming a Tesla Model X, model year 2016, with the first and basic hardware available then, what options do I have to upgrade it to the most recent FSD computer? And how about MCU and HW upgrades? Excuse my lack of understanding and poor description (I welcome any intro or educational tips), but what is the cost for upgrading each of these hardware units?

Any issues that one should avoid the 2016 Model X if there is one available for a good price? Is the unlimited supercharging available then (prior to 2017) transferable to a 4th owner?

If it’s a private party sale free supercharge should transfer. I think you can update the mcu to get a faster unit (mcu-2). I’m not sure when fsd changed. If it had hardwhere 1, don’t think upgrade possible. If it just has a chrome piece above each wheel well, not upgradable, but if has cameras there, then upgrade possible.

How does pre oct 2016 cars with AP1 operation for autopilot (lane keeping assist accuracy wise) compared to newer AP2 or even 2023 cars with standard Autopilot?

I had a 2016 AP1 MX w/ Autopilot (and FUSC) as well as a 2017 AP2 MX w/EAP (and FUSC) for what @brainhouston call "unicorn"

At the very onset, AP1 > AP2. Then EAP/AP2 caught up to AP1 and offered more features. At the latest onset, AP2 still offers more features. However AP1 has always seemed more consistent and predictable.

The problem with AP2 is that it could be good today, and bad tomorrow with an update. Where as AP1 is just pretty predictable in what you do (and don't) get.

• Informative
Reactions: brainhouston
To be honest, only thing i care about AP2 is sentry/dashcam.
But im the kind of driver that barely uses any AP/cruise control, something about manually driving is very satisfying :)
Used AP1 only a handful of times n it worked flawlessly for the most part, with occasional swerve by exits...

To be honest, only thing i care about AP2 is sentry/dashcam.
But im the kind of driver that barely uses any AP/cruise control, something about manually driving is very satisfying :)
Used AP1 only a handful of times n it worked flawlessly for the most part, with occasional swerve by exits...

We also have a MS w/o AP at all. This was before they changed to include basic autopilot with all vehicles. When we're in that, we suddenly realize that while we don't use it much either - when we do, adaptive cruise control is really nice. Especially in traffic.