Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X base audio upgrade - Focal ES165KX2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

gangzoom

May 22, 2014
Uk
I have a 2017 75DX with base audio. I have to say for a base system the sound produced by the car was never 'bad' but never really good enough for me to enjoy listening, certainly nothing close to the HiFi setup at home.

I spend a lot of time in my car with my toddler, so nursery rhymes take up 75% of my play list, however for the last 6 months I've itching to get some better speakers fitted so I can enjoy some 'me time' in the car for even at home I cannot get away from 1-2-3-4-5 Once I caught a fish alive.....as most parents am sure will agree!!!!

Am also tight with money, so spent a long time researching what to get. I knew I didn't want to add a sub, the music I listen to isn't base heavy, and I don't have a sub even for my HiFi setup at home. I also wasn't interested in 'adding' more speakers, the sound staging on the X is fine, and in my personal experience its quality over quantity. The stock speakers simply cannot deliver good mid/high range definition, they had to go.

My first attempt to upgrade led me to the Lightning Harmonics speakers for the X. I even ordered some.....BUT nearly a month after my money was taken there was still no signs of the speakers. It turned out because I was in Europe the supplier I ordered from simply couldnt give me an estimate on when they would could get hold of some speakers, but they still refused to refund me. In the end I had to ask MasterCard to intervene, and 3 months after my initial order I eventually got my money back :(.

I than took the car to my local audio shop. They hadn't worked on a X before but were happy to disamble the front end to access the stock speakers and recommend a replacment.

Turns out the front speakers are 2ohmn impedance, and the built in amps is pretty decent.

After some debate we settled on upgrading the fronts to Focal ES-165KX2s. These retial for about £500, which is by no means cheap for 2 speaker. But anyone half interested in HiFi setups will not really be put off by the price, good speakers command high premiums and I rather have two aweason speakers than 8 rubbish ones.

The Focals were a special order but arrived in the shop after 10 days, the chaps than spent nearly a whole day installing and playing with crossover settings!!!

I picked up the car ealier this week and have tried various music, all I can say is WOW!!

The lyrics in Fast car by Tracey Chapman is now clear and defined, where as before you could hardly hear the vocals.

Instrumentals on something like Bitter sweet symphony is now enjoyable to listen to, rather than been a flat mess.

Put on Three tenors singing Verdi: La traviata, turn the volume up to 6 and the clarity is enough to make the hairs on your neck stand up :).

As you can see the music I listen to is very mid range heavy. If your taste is for more bass, than you still to add a powered sub. Push up the base and there is a definite loss in clarity. However adding a powered sub would easily solve that issue.

For me am not bothered about adding a sub, for my musical needs the Focal speakers have transformed the car. I would say apart from bass setup, the X has now a better sounding setup compared to my wifes Lexus which has the top Mark Levison audio setup Lexus offer.

The total install cost was £650, and for another £650 I can easliy get an active sub added. The end result am 100% sure would be much better than the £2500 'Premium audio' setup Tesla was offering at the time I odered our car.

If people are undecided about doing a speaker upgrade, for sub $1k all in I would highly recommend changing the front speakers :).

The speakers fitted are the ones below:

PASMAG | PERFORMANCE AUTO AND SOUND - Focal K2 Power 165KX2 Component Review

The end result am 100% sure would be much better than the £2500 'Premium audio' setup Tesla was offering at the time I odered our car.

How do you know this? The Premium setup in the X is pretty awesome actually. Not saying you can't get similar or better results with a £2500 spend on aftermarket upgrades, but it's night and day better than the standard audio setup and the bass from the sub is very nicely integrated, unlike in many other cars, especially Bose systems. As for the other speakers with mid-range and highs I don't find any problem there either, even comparing against high end home audio (Naim, Linn etc). Of course it doesn't really match those systems for depth or breadth of sound, but for listening inside a moving tin can with wind and tyre noise it's pretty damn good!

How do you know this? The Premium setup in the X is pretty awesome actually. Not saying you can't get similar or better results with a £2500 spend on aftermarket upgrades, but it's night and day better than the standard audio setup and the bass from the sub is very nicely integrated, unlike in many other cars, especially Bose systems. As for the other speakers with mid-range and highs I don't find any problem there either, even comparing against high end home audio (Naim, Linn etc). Of course it doesn't really match those systems for depth or breadth of sound, but for listening inside a moving tin can with wind and tyre noise it's pretty damn good!

I had a loaner X with premium sound for 4 months, when my orignal 60D X was written off. The bass is 100% better than standard and the bass with the Focal speaker setup is still very weak compared to premium sound.

BUT for my own use I don't listen to much stuff with base, and if needed I think adding an active subwoofer would be fab.

For my music tastes the £2500 premium HiFi upgrade wasn't for me. The Focal speakers have given me the better sound I was after for £600 fitted.

Thanks for sharing your setup. I've been thinking about an audio upgrade for months but haven't due to cost. Frankly, I didn't think a speaker upgrade would make a big difference without adding an amp and DSP. You mentioned that your installer spent a lot of time on the crossovers, are you referring to the ones that comes with the Focal speakers? I'm curious, did you consider going with a 3-way component vs 2-way?

The Focals can 100% take ALOT more power from a separate amp, but 50% of car trips are with a toddler on board and I cannot remeber ever having the volume above 6.

The speakers really help with vocal and mid range separation, its much much better than stock, which at low volumes sounds muddled and flat regardless of what you do with the equaliser. I'm very happy with the Focal speakers.

A separate amp and sub would 100% improve the sound, and if your after best sound is the route to go donw. Bt for me its a case of budget versus need. For £600 I've achieved what am looking for in the sound setup, I might change the central speaker as the stock sounds a little bright with the Focals, but am not convinced the cost (around £200-250) would be worth it.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: lohboy
The Focals can 100% take ALOT more power from a separate amp, but 50% of car trips are with a toddler on board and I cannot remeber ever having the volume above 6.

The speakers really help with vocal and mid range separation, its much much better than stock, which at low volumes sounds muddled and flat regardless of what you do with the equaliser. I'm very happy with the Focal speakers.

A separate amp and sub would 100% improve the sound, and if your after best sound is the route to go donw. Bt for me its a case of budget versus need. For £600 I've achieved what am looking for in the sound setup, I might change the central speaker as the stock sounds a little bright with the Focals, but am not convinced the cost (around £200-250) would be worth it.

That's what I'm after as well - improvement at lower volume levels. Thanks.

@gangzoom did these Focal speakers fit in your model X without the need of any special brackets? Both in the doors and A pillars? Trying to get a feeling if I could try this out myself

I believe the shop made custom mounts but I'm not 100% sure how hard it was.

Last night I got home before the family and instead of chilling in front of the Denon amp + floor standers I turned the volume up and stayed in the X. I pleased to say listening to music in the car is no enjoyable, rather than having just noise, very very happy with the speakers.

An active subwoofer would really complete the system - but am not sure yet if I want to spend anymore on upgrading the sound. I rarely listen to heavy bass, upgrading the central speaker might be more appropriate for my use, will speak to the audio shop :).