Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just took delivery of 2024 RWD, not happy with the audio. A few questions...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Ottoman

Mar 11, 2021
Miami
I replaced a 2021 Standard range/RWD with a 2024 Standard/RWD. I work remotely and it's a 2nd car for our family so the standard range has been plenty for our needs.
From various reviews online, people were saying the less speakers didn't make much of a difference, but I completely disagree. The extra speakers and sub make a significant difference. If you just listen to podcasts and talk radio it's probably fine, but not with music.
I'm wondering if anyone knows answers to the following questions:

1) Since the reduction is from 13 speakers to 7 (not including the sub), are the 6 speakers that are missing the following:
- tweeters on A pillar
- speakers on door near side mirrors
- speakers on tailgate

2) There are a few wiring harness kits out there for the model 3 that activate the speakers in the door and pillar. Is this the same for the Model Y (the speakers are there but just not wired)?

3) If I can salvage a factory sub and amp from a older Model Y, is there an existing wiring harnes this can this be plugged into? Not sure if this will work as the audio settings in the UI currently do not show a setting for the sub. Not sure if this setting will appear if a sub and amp are added.

Reactions: voom500
I replaced a 2021 Standard range/RWD with a 2024 Standard/RWD. I work remotely and it's a 2nd car for our family so the standard range has been plenty for our needs.
From various reviews online, people were saying the less speakers didn't make much of a difference, but I completely disagree. The extra speakers and sub make a significant difference. If you just listen to podcasts and talk radio it's probably fine, but not with music.
I'm wondering if anyone knows answers to the following questions:

1) Since the reduction is from 13 speakers to 7 (not including the sub), are the 6 speakers that are missing the following:
- tweeters on A pillar
- speakers on door near side mirrors
- speakers on tailgate

2) There are a few wiring harness kits out there for the model 3 that activate the speakers in the door and pillar. Is this the same for the Model Y (the speakers are there but just not wired)?

3) If I can salvage a factory sub and amp from a older Model Y, is there an existing wiring harnes this can this be plugged into? Not sure if this will work as the audio settings in the UI currently do not show a setting for the sub. Not sure if this setting will appear if a sub and amp are added.
I saw an article yesterday that said you are not alone- apparently Alpine has solved this with a model specific kit to upgrade the audio-

Based on observations of what currently comes with the Model 3 RWD, there is no harness and this isn’t a simple plug and play addition.

Reactions: Skavatar