Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X half shaft question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Bought a used LR + model X recently. Love the car but I’m pretty sure it has the half shaft issue. Grinds/vibrates with hard acceleration. Drives great otherwise. I know I can get them half shafts replaced under warranty but it seems this is likely to be a recurrent issue. I’ve read about these after market solutions - N2ITIVE seem to offer a solution. When Tesla repairs do they have a more permanent fix these days? If they don’t has anyone tried any aftermarket solutions and if so who installed. Odd if a private company can resolve an issue but the manufacturer can’t. Cheers

If the shafts are covered by warranty then I would simply let Tesla replace them and hope the issue has been resolved by redesign.
You will always have the option to go aftermarket when the warranty ends if the replacement shafts fail again.
There isn't anything unique about half shafts and CV joints as they have been around for donkeys years - the only difference with an EV is about how much torque they can instantly put into the joint so perhaps standard hardness ball bearings get a harder life if a driver is a bit exuberant in applying the power and does this more frequently than perhaps others with ICE vehicles whereby the torque relies on an engine reaching its power band and the balls in the CV get a more linear force applied.
CV joints balls and sockets are more vulnerable when they are at their limit - angle wise, though they should be fit for purpose and last a reasonable time.

The durability of the design and construction of a constant velocity joint is really down to the price and Tesla do have a track record of engineering to a minimum standard rather than a massive degree of what i would call redundancy - or over engineering.

I don't know of the X model half shaft issue (and is this a CV problem or the half shaft splines themselves, your description of the grinding and vibration is indicative of the CV joint) but that's probably because all my interest has been with the model 3, but gather from your comment that its perhaps a well known issue for model X owners and if so then Tesla will also be aware and know for sure how frequent or the propensity for replacement is and would trigger a modification in order to reduce costs.

Reactions: sam481
Bought a used LR + model X recently. Love the car but I’m pretty sure it has the half shaft issue. Grinds/vibrates with hard acceleration. Drives great otherwise. I know I can get them half shafts replaced under warranty but it seems this is likely to be a recurrent issue. I’ve read about these after market solutions - N2ITIVE seem to offer a solution. When Tesla repairs do they have a more permanent fix these days? If they don’t has anyone tried any aftermarket solutions and if so who installed. Odd if a private company can resolve an issue but the manufacturer can’t. Cheers

The motor mounts needs to be replaced, its not really an recurrent issue if all the revised spec parts are ordered/fitted. Make sure the upper control arms are also done/most up-to-date version whilst still in warranty.

Reactions: sam481