Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

22 M3LR rear end vibration on acceleration 80-86mph

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Theres a passenger side rear end vibration when you accelerate from 80-86 at a constant rate, The vibration gets stronger and stronger and peaks at about 86-87mph. A quick jab from 80 to 86 or faster doesn't have the same vibration, the rear actually doesn't vibrate as hard. Would like some input on where this issue might be.

Hopefully the following can narrow down what might be happening
-car is lowered on mpp coils but is by no means slammed, about a 2 finger gap on all corners, has aftermarket rear swaybar, alignment was done after install ~-1.1-1.2 degrees of camber all around
-running EC7R wheels and 265/40/18 ps4s tires, tires have no foam, 42psi
-road force balancer on all wheels, wheels aren't bent
-have done multiple tire rotations, even tread wear all around
-torqued wheels to factory spec

The only clue I have right now is someone in FB group has mentioned the half shafts might be going bad. I find it unlikely, cars at 40k miles.
I'd rather not throw money at this problem buying parts I don't need as the solution is stay away from 86-87mph. The smartest thing to do might just be to take it to a SC but idk if they'd warranty whatever is wrong with the car since its modified, I do highly doubt these modifications will result in a rear vibration.

Last edited:
At higher speeds a balancing issue may appear.
A technician with limited experience might not realize a need to balance for speed. In other words a job perfectly adequate at speed limits may not be so great at higher speeds. Just an idea for you...
Also, do not assume that a half shaft is not failing simply because it has your low mileage. Those things have surprised me several times over my years and with fewer than 40k miles since last renewal. Have you begun to hear a clicking sort of sound? I asked that because each time I've lost a half shaft I've heard a light clicking when turning at slow speed that would dissipate with speed.

Well that's some bs! Maybe non-foam tire is the way to go?
I spoke with Michelin, who mentioned that Tesla shouldn't simply discard the foam and referred to it as a fix. Otherwise, Michelin can prorate the tire based on the warranty mileage.

After giving Tesla's service a 1-star rating, I received a call from the Tesla customer service manager, who agreed to refund the ~$400 and replace the problematic tire for free after hearing about my experience.

Reactions: Birdsfan
I have a Y with 90k miles, mpp coilovers, and mp4s tires. Noticed similar vibrations (74-76 mph and under light acceleration). Tesla also wouldn’t perform service on it. Contacted Reel Deal EV (for those in Tampa, FL) and Chad diagnosed the rear halfshafts to be bad and replaced both. That solved the vibrations for me.

At higher speeds a balancing issue may appear.
A technician with limited experience might not realize a need to balance for speed. In other words a job perfectly adequate at speed limits may not be so great at higher speeds. Just an idea for you...
Also, do not assume that a half shaft is not failing simply because it has your low mileage. Those things have surprised me several times over my years and with fewer than 40k miles since last renewal. Have you begun to hear a clicking sort of sound? I asked that because each time I've lost a half shaft I've heard a light clicking when turning at slow speed that would dissipate with speed.
no, theres no clicking sound yet