Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X in power saving mode anomaly.....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello-

I left my 2016 75D Model X in a parking lot in IL for two weeks in December. When I left the car initially, I believe it had around 188 miles of range or so left. Under "Display," I had selected energy saving ON, and UNchecked the "always connected" box. I did not use the app to check on the car at all over those 15 days.

15 days later when I arrived back at the airport and started up the app to preheat the car while waiting for my luggage, the app instantly connected to the car (under power saving/unchecked always connected, it usually takes a minute or two?), and then when I got to the car, I found only 68 miles of range left AND the window in the left gull wind door was open about 1/3 of the way down. I guess I can't be 100% certain that somehow I left the window down when I initially parked the car, but it's highly, highly unlikely.

I lost 8 miles of range per day, which seemed quite high, right? And has this window thing happened to anyone else on the forum?

Thanks.

Haven’t heard of this ..outside in the cold not plugged in with window down..the range loss doesn’t seem unreasonable. The bms will use the heater to keep the battery warm ..

Haven’t heard of this ..outside in the cold not plugged in with window down..the range loss doesn’t seem unreasonable. The bms will use the heater to keep the battery warm ..

Didn't know the battery heater would kick in while the X is sitting in a parking lot. Do you know what the system logic is that causes the BMS to cause the battery heater to kick on?

Thanks. I guess the window thing for me was either a weird anomaly or I hit a button somewhere. I'm still really surprised to lose 8 miles/day with all the energy saving options selected. My Model S doesn't loose that much each day that it sits unplugged.