Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Order - Frustration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am in NYC and looking to order a Model X inventory car and Friend of mine recommended a Tesla Advisor in CA who helped him for the past 3 Tesla. Everything went pretty good in day 1 and 2. Tesla Advisor found me a inventory Model X P100D Ludicrous Mode, Six Seaters with 2400 mileage Black and Black with 20” Carbon Wheel with the build price ~$129,500.00. He told me Tesla will able to remove the Ludicrous mode and since it is demo car, the final price will be discounted at ~$87,000.00

We agreed the price and placed the order with $2,500.00. Once i placed the order and few hours later, he told me that Tesla not able to remove the Ludicrous mode in the demo car and they are not able to sell me this Model X. After a while, he found me another inventory car with similar spec but 22” wheel for final price ~$100,000 (again Tesla said they could remove the Ludicrous mode and save me $20,000).

I accepted the change next day and seen the order updated in my Tesla account. The price did adjusted to $20,000.00 less with Ludicrous mode removed. however i have issue with the “Trade in”. I am not able to complete the trade in option via the Tesla account which shown “ no vehicle trade in request”. Emailed, texted and called the Advisor without any luck. Emailed Tesla and someone called me back and ask me for the VIN.

I have provided my 2018 BMW M3 VIN and told him the additional upgrade on my M3 and low mileage 5000 for additional trade in value. the rep said i can update the information on the Tesla Account myself. I logged in and didn’t see the option for me to update any condition of my BMW M3 but only asked me to accept the value. I texted and call the Rep and no feedbacks. I went to the local Tesla and asked the question and the Sales said they will connect me with my original Tesla Advisor and call me back.

Few hours later, Store manager from the Tesla where i will pick up my Model X called me and told me that Tesla trade in is an convenience services for customer and may not be a good value. suggested me to trade with other dealers. I was very upset , why I have to order the Model X if you guy doesn’t even appraise my trade in correctly. in addition, he told me that the Model X i ordered is in transit from Texas and take few weeks which is fine and i understand. But he said there is additional $2,000 transportation costs. I was shocked and said it is never been agreed and not even listed on my sales agreement.

At this moment, i am considering just cancel the Order. Thanks for reading the long post.

It’s true trade in is more of a convenience thing that it is anything else. In fact, you can go to Trade-in Value | Tesla and enter your information. They have very little leeway to change what comes up. It will be inline with Kelly trade-in.

Compare what Tesla offers plus the reduced tax you will pay reducing your purchase price to the amount you can get elsewhere (Carnax is a good place to start). Don’t take it personal, it’s strictly a financial decision, and don’t let it sway your opinion of the process.

I am in NYC and looking to order a Model X inventory car and Friend of mine recommended a Tesla Advisor in CA who helped him for the past 3 Tesla. Everything went pretty good in day 1 and 2. Tesla Advisor found me a inventory Model X P100D Ludicrous Mode, Six Seaters with 2400 mileage Black and Black with 20” Carbon Wheel with the build price ~$129,500.00. He told me Tesla will able to remove the Ludicrous mode and since it is demo car, the final price will be discounted at ~$87,000.00

We agreed the price and placed the order with $2,500.00. Once i placed the order and few hours later, he told me that Tesla not able to remove the Ludicrous mode in the demo car and they are not able to sell me this Model X. After a while, he found me another inventory car with similar spec but 22” wheel for final price ~$100,000 (again Tesla said they could remove the Ludicrous mode and save me $20,000).

I accepted the change next day and seen the order updated in my Tesla account. The price did adjusted to $20,000.00 less with Ludicrous mode removed. however i have issue with the “Trade in”. I am not able to complete the trade in option via the Tesla account which shown “ no vehicle trade in request”. Emailed, texted and called the Advisor without any luck. Emailed Tesla and someone called me back and ask me for the VIN.

I have provided my 2018 BMW M3 VIN and told him the additional upgrade on my M3 and low mileage 5000 for additional trade in value. the rep said i can update the information on the Tesla Account myself. I logged in and didn’t see the option for me to update any condition of my BMW M3 but only asked me to accept the value. I texted and call the Rep and no feedbacks. I went to the local Tesla and asked the question and the Sales said they will connect me with my original Tesla Advisor and call me back.

Few hours later, Store manager from the Tesla where i will pick up my Model X called me and told me that Tesla trade in is an convenience services for customer and may not be a good value. suggested me to trade with other dealers. I was very upset , why I have to order the Model X if you guy doesn’t even appraise my trade in correctly. in addition, he told me that the Model X i ordered is in transit from Texas and take few weeks which is fine and i understand. But he said there is additional $2,000 transportation costs. I was shocked and said it is never been agreed and not even listed on my sales agreement.

At this moment, i am considering just cancel the Order. Thanks for reading the long post.

Try calling the Meatpacking Tesla Store and ask for Patrick. He's been helping me with the Model X order I made last week.

JMaddr is correct, it is more of a convenience and Tesla does not do this well. When I purchase my Model X, was advised to take it to CarMax and get a free quote, they give it to you in writing, then scan it and upload it to your documents on your purchase web page. Take your car to someplace that can give you a written valuation, Tesla will usually take this and honor it.

Realize that there is a lot more to a Ludicrous mode that the software. The electric motors are larger, they have higher horsepower, so your mileage will not be the same as a plain 100D. Either purchase a used model that is exactly what you want, or order it from the web site.

Mike P