Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying a Model X P100D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey there, new to the forums. I pick up a used Model X next week and was curious if this screenshot attached would indicate whether or not it has Ludicrous mode. Unfortunately the dealer didn't provide how much else as far as screenshots of the display. The car itself appears to have had the badging removed in the rear. Thanks!
Model X Screen.jpg

That would indicate that it has Ludicrous+. It’s the same car I have. Great vehicle. Are you going to test drive it first? I highly recommend it. (1) Check the falcon doors for sensor issues by letting it sit in the sun for 5-10 minutes. (2) check if there’s front end squeeks when turning and (3) any vibrations in the front end at moderate acceleration with air suspension in “normal” height.

Those are the most expensive items to look for.

That would indicate that it has Ludicrous+. It’s the same car I have. Great vehicle. Are you going to test drive it first? I highly recommend it. (1) Check the falcon doors for sensor issues by letting it sit in the sun for 5-10 minutes. (2) check if there’s front end squeeks when turning and (3) any vibrations in the front end at moderate acceleration with air suspension in “normal” height.

Those are the most expensive items to look for.
Thank you, and very good to hear from someone who owns the same car. I assume I'll get to test drive it when I go to pick it up, so I will try all of those. I have a 7-day money back guarantee and I purchased a two-year bumper to bumper extended warranty. From what I've been reading it sounds like the warranty was a good idea for only $2500 bucks.

Couple more questions I have: I have been reading on various websites that Tesla has been remote-disabling features such as Free Supercharging, AutoPilot and Ludicrous modes, what are the chances they could OTA disable them on this one, or have already done it? Taking away the ludicrous mode that the original purchaser paid for seems a little shady, like buying a truck with a factory-installed tow package and then 10 years later showing up at the new owners house and removing it.

What's your actual highway range at say, 65-70mph?

What exactly am I doing with the falcon doors, letting them sit in the light open or closed? My original intention was just to look for wear/rub marks on the paint in the door jambs and look at the alignment when closed, make sure they open/shut, we don't get a lot of sun here in Seattle, especially this time of year.

Thanks again!

I have been reading on various websites that Tesla has been remote-disabling features such as Free Supercharging, AutoPilot and Ludicrous modes, what are the chances they could OTA disable them on this one, or have already done it?
Tesla won’t take away things that are a part of the car configuration just because the car was sold. But most free supercharging does not transfer with the car and I see a lot of ignorance about this topic. You did not mention what year it is - of specific interest is what month/year it was manufactured (which is identified on plate in driver’s door jam.)

Tesla won’t take away things that are a part of the car configuration just because the car was sold. But most free supercharging does not transfer with the car and I see a lot of ignorance about this topic. You did not mention what year it is - of specific interest is what month/year it was manufactured (which is identified on plate in driver’s door jam.)
Thank you. It's a 2016. I don't know what month the car was manufactured bit I have the VIN, I tried looking everywhere to find that out and just couldn't. From what I've found on the internet, the cameras in the front fenders would indicate it has HW2, which I read somewhere was installed after October "something" (cant remember the day) 2016, would I be right in assuming that?

I'd also like to thank Paul Howell for the earlier advice on the falcon doors, I did some reading into that today while at work, we live in Seattle now but plan on moving to a place in a couple of years where 100'F+ days are typical in the summer months.

Reactions: PAUL POWELL
@J Williams, a 2016 does have free supercharging that should transfer with the car. The caveat is that if Tesla ever reowned the car as a trade-in at some point, then they could have removed or altered the transferability.

Yes, it would be an HW2.0 car. Any autopilot package it has should transfer. It should have free premium connectivity.

I would hope it has had the infotainment upgrade to MCU2. If not, that is about $2500.

the info here is quite erroneous. I have personal experience with multiple P100D's... from 2016 and Jan 2017.
Free unlimited supercharging and FSD will only be removed if Tesla has ever taken ownership of the car. If there have been private party sales that ultimately resulted in it ending up on a dealer lot, these will definitely transfer.
On the other hand, if this dealer took possession of that vehicle bc it was traded in to Tesla or was a lease return, and Tesla auctioned it off (as they would do for an older car), then Tesla will definitely remove FUSC and FSD. Take a look at the ownership record on a carfax and decide. I have had a P100DL that was auctioned from carmax to another dealer, and the features remained... Tesla cannot just remove features due to ownership transfer unless explicitly stated (SC05 / 'non-transferrable unlimted supercharging' is an example)
If you can show the rest of the screen from that screenshot, one can tell if it has MCU1 vs MCU2. This X should have AP2... you can upgrade to AP3 with new cameras and FSD if you like (for free if FSD is purchased already).
it definitely has ludicrous
looks like it has the 22' inch wheels?... 100% will probably now be around 250 miles and real life experience at 75 mi/hr is going to be around 175-190 (bc of those wheels)

Reactions: Bigriver
the info here is quite erroneous. I have personal experience with multiple P100D's... from 2016 and Jan 2017.
Free unlimited supercharging and FSD will only be removed if Tesla has ever taken ownership of the car. If there have been private party sales that ultimately resulted in it ending up on a dealer lot, these will definitely transfer.
On the other hand, if this dealer took possession of that vehicle bc it was traded in to Tesla or was a lease return, and Tesla auctioned it off (as they would do for an older car), then Tesla will definitely remove FUSC and FSD. Take a look at the ownership record on a carfax and decide. I have had a P100DL that was auctioned from carmax to another dealer, and the features remained... Tesla cannot just remove features due to ownership transfer unless explicitly stated (SC05 / 'non-transferrable unlimted supercharging' is an example)
If you can show the rest of the screen from that screenshot, one can tell if it has MCU1 vs MCU2. This X should have AP2... you can upgrade to AP3 with new cameras and FSD if you like (for free if FSD is purchased already).
it definitely has ludicrous
looks like it has the 22' inch wheels?... 100% will probably now be around 250 miles and real life experience at 75 mi/hr is going to be around 175-190 (bc of those wheels)
Oh man, thanks for all that info! Not sure what size the wheels are. Attached is a pic. Would upgrading to HW3/AP3/MCU2/etc cause any of the above mentioned features to be disabled by the dealer? I'm assuming that upgrade is something performed by a Tesla-owned service center. I viewed the Carfax and other than new, the other 2 dealers it was sold from were not Tesla dealers.

I'd also like to thank Paul Howell for the earlier advice on the falcon doors, I did some reading into that today while at work, we live in Seattle now but plan on moving to a place in a couple of years where 100'F+ days are typical in the summer months.
No problem. When I first got my MX, the door sensors were bad and I have to tell you that when they don’t work properly, it’s basically an unusable car. I have 4 kids and I felt like shooting myself in the head for the week before I could get it into the service center.

Reactions: J Williams