Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X rear zone heating

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm doing quite a lot of driving to the mountains this winter with my son and noticed that rear climate zone isn't providing any heat at all, while on manual Hi setting. Before I open service ticket wanted to check that it's not expected. Can someone else on 6 or 7-seater raven try the rear zone on Hi setting with max fan? Thanks.

2020 6-seater Raven Long Range.
2021.44.6 firmware.

2020 7-seater LR here running 2021.44.25.2.

I tried a couple of scenarios:

- “Normal” with the temperature set to 74 front and back with both set to Auto. I’ve noticed that the rear fan speed always lags the front with this kind of setting and that the climate defaults to the neutral (face) and down (legs) setting. In this case, the fan speed in the rear maxed out at 2. The center vents in the second row where warm, but nothing was coming out. The side vents in the second row (along the FWDs) were ice cold, almost like air conditioning (I usually keep these closed in winter because they almost always push cold air). The side vents in the third row were both pushing warm air.

- “Normal“ with the rear fan speed bumped up to the max. I didn’t notice much different here - center 2nd row were warm with just a bit of air coming out, side 2nd row were very fast cold air, side 3rd row were pushing warm air hard.

- Max with the temperature set to HI front and back. The fan speed maxed out front and rear and it switched to down (legs) only, which is more traditional in terms of what I’ve experienced with heat on in other vehicles. Center 2nd row are still basically off (I’m guessing they don’t contribute to heat). The right side 2nd row vent pushed hot air fast, the left side 2nd row vent pushed warmish air fast (I probably wouldn’t want it blowing on me, to be honest). The side 3rd row vents blasted hot air.

Hope this helps!

Yeah, that just confused me even more.
By the way center vents in the second row for some reason controlled by front zone, don't ask me why...

I finnaly got heat fron the second row side vents by setting HI on both front and rear zone and setting air direction to front, very illogical but I'll live with that. Thanks for your help.