Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y 7-seater rear seat occupancy sensor issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

I have a new 2023 Model Y 7-seater, which has a fairly unique rear seat (right side) occupancy sensor issue. It operates as normal in the back – the rear AC vents turn on when seat is sat on, there is a “buckle seat belt” alert when the car is moving and there is weight on the respective seat.

However, when I go into service mode and navigate to the closure section, I get a “rear right hand occupancy sensor” fault message, with that seat red. See attached image. On this screen, when I apply pressure on this seat I don’t get any “activate” indicator, unlike the others (seat is highlighted green). There are no service alerts in service mode indicating any fault.

IMG_0370.jpeg

I went under the chair and unplugged/replugged the sensor, but the fault message still persists in service mode. I also thought that service mode may be glitchy with the 7-seater setup (the closure section doesn’t include diagrams for the 3rd row seatbelt/occupancy sensors), so tested the back row. However, the 3rd row sensors all appear to be working fine.

I also searched online, and it appears that there are some service bulletins for M 3/Y ‘s regarding OCS systems causing weird messages and may require a filter to reduce electrical interference. However, I’m not sure if it is specific to front seats or all seats.

A mobile technician came out, tested out the sensors, and said it is working fine and to wait for a software update because factory firmware can be buggy (I’m on 2023.26.100). Does this sound reasonable to ya’ll? I booked another service in their shops because service cannot ‘push’ an update.

I’ve spent hours looking online for others with this issue but have not found anything relevant. Does anyone else with a MY 7-seater have this issue, and if so how to fix it?

Thanks!

Reactions: Joey1991
Anyone with a 7 seater model Y with the 2023.26.X or above willing to check if their service mode is showing a right occupancy sensor fault?

I think I figured it out. I spent hours looking at the circuit diagrams, and it appears that the occupancy sensor for the rear right seat connects to DIFFERENT controllers, depending on seat configuration. The 5 seater connects to the LEFT BODY CONTROLLER whereas the 7 seater connects to the RIGHT. Since the seat service mode is so new, I bet the 7 seat configuration isn’t programmed into the service section correctly, and is reading blank input from the LEFT controller (the seat service screen doesn’t have the back two seats either).

I confirmed with another YouTuber with 2023.26.11 that his 7 seater has this erroneous alert, so I’m fairly confident this one any any hardware glitch but buggy service software.

I’m going to cancel my service appointment because they have overall done more damage than than good to my vehicle. But let me know what they say

I confirmed with another YouTuber with 2023.26.11 that his 7 seater has this erroneous alert, so I’m fairly confident this one any any hardware glitch but buggy service software.

I’m going to cancel my service appointment because they have overall done more damage than than good to my vehicle. But let me know what they say
I had the same problem, and after a couple of visits to the service center (they even changed my seat), yesterday, finally told me that it is a firmware issue, and the engineering team is working on it.

" Good morning this is Tesla service. Thank you for providing the picture of your concern when you were here yesterday. From the picture you gave us yesterday and the data we collected while the car was here at the service center we can confirm that the issue your are experiencing is a known firware issue that our engineers are aware of and are working on a fix to remedy the issue. When a fix is made it will be sent over the air with a new firmware verision. There is no need to come back to the service center for this issue if you dont want to. If you like we can close this servce visit?"

Reactions: Joey1991 and jecsun
Good! I don’t usually use them but good for when in-laws or friends are together, which allows us to squeeze into one car.

I only let kids sit back there, too uncomfortable for an adult taller than 5’4”.

They’re not the best quality, but not terrible either. I do feel that one of the wires under will break eventually…

Good! I don’t usually use them but good for when in-laws or friends are together, which allows us to squeeze into one car.

I only let kids sit back there, too uncomfortable for an adult taller than 5’4”.

They’re not the best quality, but not terrible either. I do feel that one of the wires under will break eventually…
do you know if both MY from Fremont & Austin come with Hardware4?

Have a 2023 Y RWD, with a isofix kid seat in the back passenger side. The unbuckled alarm goes on and off sometimes when the kid is in the seat. Is not always happening, one time, one hour trip, alarm goes on almost every five minutes. Other time no alarm or just few during the trip.
i think is maybe the weight of the kid seat plus the kid weight which makes the sensor to react when driving. Cheap sensor stuff. Need to open a service request on it

Any updates on this issue? I have the same as of 12/1/23. Tesla Service says do not look into Service Mide, but:
Replaced 1 rear seat. Service Mode shows sensor fault. Tesla Service says "if there are no screen wornings, no worries". Any advice?

Have a 2023 Y RWD, with a isofix kid seat in the back passenger side. The unbuckled alarm goes on and off sometimes when the kid is in the seat. Is not always happening, one time, one hour trip, alarm goes on almost every five minutes. Other time no alarm or just few during the trip.
i think is maybe the weight of the kid seat plus the kid weight which makes the sensor to react when driving. Cheap sensor stuff. Need to open a service request on it
Tap and hold on the red "unbuckled" icon on your screen when it comes up for that seat. This tells the car it is a child seat and will ignore the buckle. It should turn to a gray icon after a few seconds and remove the alert.

Any updates on this issue? I have the same as of 12/1/23. Tesla Service says do not look into Service Mide, but:
Replaced 1 rear seat. Service Mode shows sensor fault. Tesla Service says "if there are no screen wornings, no worries". Any advice?
They are correct. If there's no error in the main screens, then your service mode bug will get fixed by an update.