Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Refresh Towing Example

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

lynnpt2001

Cookie Monster MX & M3
Sep 9, 2015
Greencastle PA
I wanted to share a recent towing experience with our 2022 Plaid X. This boat as it sits weighs in at 5,143 lbs on the road. Recently charged the car to 296 miles, 90% charge. Drove 55 miles on the interstate at 65 mph, then 45 miles on a highway at 60 mph, only crossed one mountain and some general hills up and down, nothing too crazy, Temp 91 degrees F. Average WHPM was 716. Arrived at the SC with 11% remaining, 100 miles from home to the charger, 100 miles used approx 268 miles of range. I know the Cybertruck is suppose to tow 14000 lbs but I can't imagine the range stipping that will occur if that is behind you.....
MX Boat.jpg

Yes but 2.3 times the weight could put you in the same range, even with a larger pack, which has not been specified yet on the truck. That could be some of the ELON hopium

don't know, don't really care either lol. but we do have objective evidence that the semi has crazy low efficiency. that being said I don't believe anything Elon says and I'll choose my diesel truck if I'm towing

• Funny
Reactions: Genie and scottf200
I’m assuming you have launched the same boat with your MX? Considering moving from our MYP to a MX if we could use it to launch our 21 foot Yamaha FSH. We could get rid of the Ram 1500 in our yard that is pretty much only used to launch the boat if a MX could handle launching the boat. We are only 2 miles from the launch, so long distance towing isn’t the concern.

I'll choose my diesel truck if I'm towing
Traded in my diesel Ram for an R1T to tow my 30’ Airstream and I could never go back. The quiet acceleration is a thing of beauty and it’s much more stable in a crosswind. My only complaint is the drop in range (~50%) but chargers are ubiquitous in this part of the world so it’s not really a big problem. I will definitely give the CT a try whenever it shows up.

Update…we decided to get the MX and try it for our tow vehicle. Mind you, we live 2 miles from a real nice ramp, but today we tested it to see if the MX will do the job and it did an amazing job. I’d say equal or better than our 2017 Ram 1500 used to do with our Yamaha FSH 210.
IMG_5576.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_5577.jpeg
    IMG_5577.jpeg
    638 KB · Views: 16